Fuel Economy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The only good thing to come from this terrible year of dive conditions is the savings from the high cost of marine fuel. During better conditions we were filling our gas tanks every other month. Today was our first visit to the fuel dock this year. We couldn't have picked a better morning for it.

The ocean was the flattest we've seen it along the south side of Palos Verdes in a long time. We stopped along the way to dive at White Point Rock. It was dark and gloomy on the reef. A brown algae was choking nearly every invertebrate. Sponges and gorgonians were dead underneath the hairy invader.

There were a lot of fish still here but not nearly as many nudibranchs as we had found in previous dives.

9fe920d1-5108-4908-b310-5e795016f665_zpsrtq4c3b9.jpg

Yellow zoanthids, Parazoanthus lucificum

White20Point20Rock202_zpsj0n0btfr.jpg

Austraeolis stearnsi

White%20Point%20Rock%205_zpssyxe2mwp.jpg

Triopha catalinae

White%20Point%20Rock%204_zpshxrjbphy.jpg

White%20Point%20Rock%203_zpspfz6a3pa.jpg

Aegires albopunctatus

After fueling up the ocean showed its usual face to us. We bounced our way back toward Redondo Beach, pausing for a dive at Golf Ball Reef.

Golf20Ball20Reef208_zpsdsmsvrrp.jpg

Yellowfin fringehead, Neoclinus stephensae

Golf%20Ball%20Reef%202_zpsscgp4dyj.jpg

Protula sp

Golf%20Ball%20Reef%2012_zps4xqaclrw.jpg

Nudi nursery

Golf%20Ball%20Reef%2010_zpsyftgulay.jpg

Pseudoceros montereyensis

Golf%20Ball%20Reef%203_zpsrktdzbot.jpg

Cadlina limbaughorum

Golf%20Ball%20Reef%209_zpstpvzvflq.jpg

Golf20Ball20Reef204_zps57y7omfm.jpg

Cadlina flavomaculata

Golf20Ball20Reef2011_zpskl0dfmix.jpg

Acanthodoris hudsoni

Golf%20Ball%20Reef%2014_zpsuiu3h9fg.jpg

Berthella californica

Golf%20Ball%20Reef%2015_zpslblrs3vo.jpg

A tiny Caprella californica joined us for our safety stop.

Awesome shots! You're getting an amazing depth of field.

The hard part is that I was using a 105mm lens with a Nikon 6T close up lens. The focal range is only about 1/2" so I end up deleting a lot of shots.

Beautiful shots & subjects. About what % of your shooting is macro? From your threads I've gotten the subjective impression you shoot a lot of high quality macro photography in often low-viz. (by your reports; I wouldn't know it by your photos) conditions. Do you just love macro. subjects, or is that simply what it's usually practical to shoot in the conditions at hand?

Richard.

I shoot macro about 95% of the time but not by choice. We occasionally get better than twenty feet visibility but more often than not it is less than ten feet. We usually abort when it's less than two feet.
We're going to God's Pocket near Port Hardy British Columbia next month. I'm taking my wide angle lens just in case.
Some of my rare wide angle shots;
Hermosa%20Reef%2035_zps9ukbowhw.jpg

DSC_0223_zpsba74dd87.jpg

Bottle2_zps819b9a16.jpg

Avalon9-1.jpg

LongBeach3_zpsca85eaf5.jpg

Sweeet shots Phil!!... are you still runnin' down to Jancovich for fuel?? Caught him up in Alaska while I was there cooking/working @ SureStrikeLodge, he "tipped" me back for ALL the gallons I bought there, Haaa!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom