Hammerheads in Banda ... calendar window?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on the Black Manta crossing trip from Ambon to Sorong last early November and we saw them. They also were there in October, from reports of other boats.
We did 3 dives a day there, you swim out into the blue and keep your eyes open waiting for that moment. Then if your me you screw up your video cause your so damn excited. Diving out in the blue is a bit freaky, your only point of refrence is other divers, some can get vertigo. I would focus on small specs of algea to avoid it when i didnt have other divers in view.The first dive of the day we tended to see them in twos and threes, then the second a few more, and sometimes we would see them over the reef. Then the much anticipated 3rd dive right before sundown is when your best chance at big schools comes. Who knows why they come up in large numbers at that time? But at that time we saw them in large numbers. The schools would be about 30-40 in size and it was really amazing.
That crossing trip is really epic, besides the hammerheads, there are some really nice reefs, where I was lucky enough to see some barrel sponges spawning. And Manuk Island in the morning is really spectacular, Manuk means bird and in the morning the seabirds start taking off circling and heading out to sea for the day. Manuk is also is known for the large number of sea snakes there, and yes I can vouch for that fact. I was originally a bit nervous as I'm not a huge fan of snakes, but curious as they are I found myself enamoured with them. Another priceless moment was when the Black Manta was bringing a new outboard for a village and we were greeted with songs, food, and huge smiles and thankyous.
We were blessed with really calm seas, even glassy at times, frequent spotting of whales and dolphins, and some really epic dives.

OK! I just added something to my Bucket List. WOW.

WAIT, I can't seem to figure out which trp it is, exactly, that goes from Ambon to Sorong. I see Komodo, I see RA, I don't see anything that goes between Ambon and Sorong. Do you by chance have a link?

Are all these operated by Mermaid?

- Bill

Last edited:
OK! I just added something to my Bucket List. WOW.

WAIT, I can't seem to figure out which trp it is, exactly, that goes from Ambon to Sorong. I see Komodo, I see RA, I don't see anything that goes between Ambon and Sorong. Do you by chance have a link?

Are all these operated by Mermaid?

- Bill
Lots of boats do this crossing after transitioning their boats to the North. Forgotten Islands and Banda Sea cruises usually end in Ambon. Then they head over to Raja. We were on the Damai II last year for this cruise. It is a fantastic itinerary combining the muck of Ambon, beautiful reefs and fish population of the Banda Sea, then on to Misool and Central Raja. The Mantas of Misool are quite magical!

Hi all - The crossing Banda Sea crossing trips are outstanding. Even with oceanic manta rays and hammerheads, I try to keep my exceptions low, so I do not set myself up for disappointment. Migrating hammerheads are not present on all Sept-Nov crossing trips.

Help me understand something. Looking at a map, RA is northeast of Ambon, and the Banda Sea is south of Ambon.

Do these boats then go a few hundred kms out into the Banda Sea when they do this crossing?

Is one closer to the hammerhead / oceanic manta ray action by simply stationing oneself at the island of Banda?

Thanks,

- Bill

I've been lucky going to Magic Mountain twice & seeing the oceanic manta twice then. This is a giant 20-footers manta, not the little reef manta that you see in Manta Alley (Komodo) or Manta Point (Nusa Penida) or Manta Ridge (Arborek).

Help me understand something. Looking at a map, RA is northeast of Ambon, and the Banda Sea is south of Ambon.

Do these boats then go a few hundred kms out into the Banda Sea when they do this crossing?

Is one closer to the hammerhead / oceanic manta ray action by simply stationing oneself at the island of Banda?

Thanks,

- Bill

Yes they go out into the Banda Sea. Then they will usually head over to RA. Most operators will list an itinerary and you can
look on a good map and you can see the names of the islands. There is lots of long cruises overnight and some days no night dive.
The Oceanic Manta are at Magic Mountain a site in Misool Raja Ampat.
You might be able to spot Hammers just off Banda. We didn't go to Banda on my trip.
And as Charlie says no guarantees, then again what in life is guaranteed?
And don't say death and taxes cause I might be immortal and have an offshore account.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
That's the Ambon-Sorong passages that I plan to take in November 2017

Thanks,

- Bill

Indonesia Diving Trip Itinerary, 17 November – 3 December, 2017
• Friday, 17 November
– Fly to Moscow (11 h)
• Saturday, 18 November
– Fly to Singapore (11 h)
• Sunday, 19 November
– Fly to Jakarta & Ambon (6 h)
• Monday, 20 November – Day 1
AM: Embark La Galigo in Ambon
PM: 2 dives in Laha
• Tuesday, 21 November – Day 2
AM: 2 dives in Ambon shipwreck
PM: 2 dives in Ambon Macro
• Wednesday, 22 November – Day 3
AM: 2 dives in Pintu Kota & Nusa Laut
PM: Sail to Passage 1 to Banda (23h)
• Thursday, 23 November – Day 4
AM: Arrive in Banda
PM: 2 dives in Batu Kapal & Pohon Miring
• Friday, 24 November – Day 5
AM: 2 dives in Run Wall & Ai Wall
PM: 2 dives in Lighthouse & Banda Jetty
• Saturday, 25 November – Day 6
AM: 2 dives in Hole in Wall & Karang Hatta
PM: 2 dives in Banda (TBA by Dolphin)
• Sunday, 26 November – Day 7
AM: 2 dives in Banda (TBA by Dolphin)
PM: Sail on Passage 2 to Koon (15h)
• Monday, 27 November – Day 8
AM: 2 dives in Koon (TBA by Dolphin)
PM: Sail on Passage 3 to South Missol (20h)
• Tuesday, 28 November – Day 9
AM: Arrive in South Misool
PM: 2 dives in Boo Window & Romeo
• Wednesday, 29 November – Day 10
AM: 2 dives in Magic Mountain & sail on Passage 4 to North Misool (5h)
PM: 1 dive in Farondi Cave & sail on Passage 5 to Fam (14h)
• Thursday, 30 November – Day 11
AM: 2 dives in Melissa’s Garden & hike up Penemu
PM: Sail on Passage 6 to Arborek (7h) & nite dive
• Friday, 1 December – Day 12
AM: 2 dives in Manta Slope & Arborek
PM: Visit Arborek, degas, BBQ, sail on Passage 7
to Sorong harbor (7h)
• Saturday, 2 December – Day 13
– Fly to Jakarta (6h)
– Fly to Singapore (1h)
• Sunday, 3 December
– Fly to Houston (22h)