Mares Puck Pro or Oceanic Geo2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, how did you conclude it is too liberal?

I ask because while I've seen people debate the alleged conservatism of another popular computer line, which some think is too conservative (and others dispute), and I wonder what reasoning leads to concluding that a give computer is too liberal? How would you know? Did you get bent?

Richard.
I have been diving with Uwatec Aladin and Veo 180 since last yr. And I compared the ndl between Uwatec Aladin and Veo 180 over many dives. They both have pretty close ndl from 24m downward but on subsequent multi-level ascent, the Veo shown a lot more ndl from 21m upward.
I have been using two Aladin over 18yrs without any incidence so I know which model that I have confidence on.
The Veo 180 was a replacement for the other Aladin which expired last yr.

Thanks for the explanation; good to know. It raises a question; is the Aladdin too conservative, or is the Veo too liberal? Probably not a question we'll see an answer to. In theory 'more conservative' is always 'safer,' but whether the reduction in a likely slight risk is worth whatever cost in bottom time is involved is an individual judgment, made harder because we don't have concrete numbers for the risk.

Richard.

Out of curiosity, how did you conclude it is too liberal?

I ask because while I've seen people debate the alleged conservatism of another popular computer line, which some think is too conservative (and others dispute), and I wonder what reasoning leads to concluding that a give computer is too liberal? How would you know? Did you get bent?

Richard.

Deco algorithms are like porridge. This one gave me too much time, this one gave me too little, this one is just right......

And anyway, the geo is now $280 + $50 (though I believe you can get stick-on readers for less than $50). At that price I'd add a twenty and buy a dg03 + usb cable instead.

Hydrotac stick-ons are $15 at Walmart. They work great!

Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal Lenses, 2.00 - Walmart.com

I would take a Geo 2 over a DG03 any day. They both have the same (proprietary) algorithm - PZ+. But, the Geo also has the DSAT algorithm, so you can choose between them to decide which you want.

They both have the same (proprietary) algorithm - PZ+. But, the Geo also has the DSAT algorithm, so you can choose between them to decide which you want.

What is the difference between the two algorithms and why would one use one of them over the other and when?

What is the difference between the two algorithms and why would one use one of them over the other and when?

PZ+ is more conservative. I, personally, would never choose that one over DSAT. If I wanted DSAT to be more conservative, I could set the Conservatism Factor to something other than "none". I have been using DSAT for the last year and half and have no reason to wish that I had ever chosen PZ+ and had a shorter NDL.

tursiops just happened to post a nice table yesterday that gives you an idea of how the two compare to each other and some other computers, including a Shearwater with different GF settings.

Nitrox and computers

Hi,

You are a frequent visitor/poster to SB, I'm surprised you are not better informed on this topic. See the attached table comparing DSAT, PZ+, and USN NDLs for air

upload_2016-7-27_17-46-50.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom