Mares Puck Pro or Oceanic Geo2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobeachlovers

Contributor
Reaction score
Between the two-and please only comment on those two:p-which would you choose and why?
I can get the geo for ~$280 and the Mares about $100 less:popcorn:

Geo 2!

I have no ecperience with the Oceanic DC though I do use one of their bcds and love it. I use a Mares Puck Pro wrist mounted and find it to be a simple, well made, user friendly dive computer. The features provided with the system allow me to do/track all of the information for my recreational diving needs. The software that comes with the computer allows you to download an elogbook and purchasing Mares' USB connector allows you to quickly import and collate data quickly and easily. I highly recomended it, though I'm sure the Oceanic is a good DC as well.

I have a Geo 2 and while I like it a lot, getting the Mares Puck Pro for $170 is just a better deal.

The Geo is nice if you are always in the tropics, but if you need to wear a drysuit/7mm wetsuit you have to use the band extender with the Geo 2 and it's annoying.

I have also found that even though I have excellent eyesight, bigger displays are just better.

Puck: presbyopia. Geo is a better computer but that's no use to me if I can't see it.

I use Oceanic Veo 180 as back up to Uwatec Aladin. It is OK but too liberal.
I will buy Deep 6 Fathom($139.00) once it is available(Aug?) as long as the shipping cost is NOT outrageously expensive.
The gauge reading mask($50.00) from DGX makes live a lot easier!!!!

Last edited:
I will buy Deep 6 Fathom($139.00) once it is available(Aug?) as long as the shipping cost is NOT outrageously expensive.
The RGBM decompression algorithem may be very conservative, we'll have to see

While that is an option, I find I need a second to re-focus when taking off reading glasses. I am not entirely sure I'd enjoy having the reading glass I cannot take off in my mask. Especially when using the camera.

And anyway, the geo is now $280 + $50 (though I believe you can get stick-on readers for less than $50). At that price I'd add a twenty and buy a dg03 + usb cable instead.

I use Oceanic Veo 180 as back up to Uwatec Aladin. It is OK but too liberal.

Out of curiosity, how did you conclude it is too liberal?

I ask because while I've seen people debate the alleged conservatism of another popular computer line, which some think is too conservative (and others dispute), and I wonder what reasoning leads to concluding that a give computer is too liberal? How would you know? Did you get bent?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom