Has anyone tried on a Scubapro EverFlex?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting..I didn't find it a dealbreaker. I didn't have trouble zipping it on my own. I was really bummed, and still am, because I was hoping that it would fit really well given how many good things people who own it had to say. Fit is everything with a wetsuit... :(

Not a dealbreaker, for me. It just doesn't seem to be AS easy to zip up on my own as the ones that go straight up/down the back. My EverFlex suits happen to fit me extremely well. And they have seals everywhere, where many other suits I looked at don't. Neck, wrists, ankles, and behind the zipper. I really couldn't ask for anything better. For me.

I have owned two 5mm Everflex suits. The newer one has excellent seals to keep out the water. The only thing I don't like is Scubapro changed all of their suits to a diagonal zipper. It's not a deal breaker by any means, just inconvenient because now I have to have help getting zipped. The Everflex is the warmest suit I have ever worn.
I had never really paid any mind to it until my LDS owner pointed out that it was weird that the zipper went diagonally instead of straight down, so we started calling it the "buttcheek zipper" being that it goes down to your buttcheek. On dive boats I'll ask him if he can "get my buttcheek zip" when I'm having trouble lol.

Not a dealbreaker, for me. It just doesn't seem to be AS easy to zip up on my own as the ones that go straight up/down the back. My EverFlex suits happen to fit me extremely well. And they have seals everywhere, where many other suits I looked at don't. Neck, wrists, ankles, and behind the zipper. I really couldn't ask for anything better. For me.

I broke the zipper on my everflex right before a dive because I was too stubborn to ask for help. Luckily a marine fabric shop was able to replace the zipper (wouldn't have had to replace it if it weren't for one tooth that broke)
But I love the suit. Like you said seals are everywhere. Very comfortable and warm

I have owned two 5mm Everflex suits. The newer one has excellent seals to keep out the water. The only thing I don't like is Scubapro changed all of their suits to a diagonal zipper. It's not a deal breaker by any means, just inconvenient because now I have to have help getting zipped. The Everflex is the warmest suit I have ever worn.

+1. The diagonal zipper is a definite downgrade.

So is there some trick you need to do to zip it up yourself? I've tried zipping it many times and just can't...

seeker242

Trying to zip myself, I am successful about 1% of the time. I e-mailed Scubapro and let them know how i felt about it citing that I could no longer zip myself. Their reply was about half the people liked them and half the people didn't. I think the leash is shorter on the diagonal zip but a longer one wouldn't make a difference. So to answer your question, the trick is to have a buddy who will give you a zip up.

seeker242

Trying to zip myself, I am successful about 1% of the time. I e-mailed Scubapro and let them know how i felt about it citing that I could no longer zip myself. Their reply was about half the people liked them and half the people didn't. I think the leash is shorter on the diagonal zip but a longer one wouldn't make a difference. So to answer your question, the trick is to have a buddy who will give you a zip up.

Thanks! I was experimenting and found a neat trick. Stolen from the freedivers who wear "open cell" wetsuits. Spread a bit of baby shampoo, or hair conditioner, to use as a lubricant on the zipper seal next to the zipper, then it's much easier to zip up by yourself. :)

I hate the diagonal zipper, I feel stupid asking for help to get dressed or zipped. However it is a must otherwise the zipper will catch and you risk breaking the zipper or tearing the suit and catching the zipper flap. Zipper flap does not go flat easy because there is not the normal gap between shoulder blades. If you wear a backplate, you will feel the zipper that runs sideways. Not unbearable because scubapro added a pad opposite of the zipper to try to balance the flawed zipper flap- I feel like there is a sock stuck between wetsuit and back left side. The everflex used to be one of the best until this diagonal zipper.

A few years ago I bought an Everflex 5/4. It felt tight in the store even though I had full range of movement- that was a very important point. In the water I didn't feel it at all. It fir perfectly.
I have been told the Everflex sizes, and othe SP wetsuit sizes, tend to run on the small size- eg. if you normally wear Lg you may find an XL fits.
A wetsuit should fit skin tight without restricting movement. In water it feels much better.

A few years ago I bought an Everflex 5/4. It felt tight in the store even though I had full range of movement- that was a very important point. In the water I didn't feel it at all. It fir perfectly.
I have been told the Everflex sizes, and othe SP wetsuit sizes, tend to run on the small size- eg. if you normally wear Lg you may find an XL fits.
A wetsuit should fit skin tight without restricting movement. In water it feels much better.

Thank you Pepperbelly!

I just am disappointed with the diagonal zipper. My number one complaint is its difficult to don by myself. I often dive for work and need to get my own wetsuit on.

Also, It doesn't really work with a backplate. Zipper not aligned with spine. Not super uncomfortable but like having a sock in my wetsuit.

You are right it is hardly noticeable in the water, but walking on beach, or walking anywhere with tank on???? It drives me nuts.

I don't know if you have problems getting it on by yourself.

My old everflex with a straight zipper worked great, my suits are the same size.

With my straight zipper, I could dive without asking for help.

The front zipper would probably be better for me but not available here in South FL.

I have three hundred plus dives with an Everflex (with strait back zipper) and I have been using scubapro wet suits for almost ten years. The suits are very warm and not restrictive.

The diagonal design is what I want people, professional divers, and individuals who dive with a wing and backplate to be aware of this before purchase.

I have to echo the diagonal zipper issue. I just tried one on - size L, which seemed pretty true to charts. I am 6'2" 185lbs. Normally wear a 40 jacket. The thing fit like it was custom made for me. I was so excited putting on this suit. The seals were ideal tightness, and the entire suit was skin tight. The interior feels great, and it's clearly a warm suit.

Then I (tried) to zip it up. I didn't want to stress the zipper so I didn't just pull like crazy - and I'm glad I didn't, because it really likes to catch the seal flap, which unlike in most wetsuits, does not lay flat and out of the way as it follows the DIAGONAL contour of your back. Eventually I got my wife to help zip me up, and the fit was indeed perfect...except I sure could feel that crazy diagonal zipper on the high sides of my back.

I tried to talk myself into it - "This weird diagonal lump that rubs my back weirdly won't be noticeable...after all - the rest of the suit feels like no wetsuit I've ever worn!" And it did. But within a minute or two, I knew there was no way that zipper was going to work for me.

Even if I could operate in a world where I have to ask someone to zip me up every time, and mind the delicate little seal flap, I can't see myself putting up with this lump pressing on my lower left and upper right back. I can't imagine how this could possibly work with a backplate. It was driving me nuts with nothing but the suit on...like a pebble in your shoe.

What in the world were the designers thinking?? It makes me sad, mad, even depressed to know that a wetsuit exists that fits me this well and would be so great to dive in, but then some clever designer decided it needed a weird standout zipper. If that thick zipper seal ran down the middle of the back, where you already have an indentation, like every other wetsuit in the world, it would have been perfect.

I wish I'd never met you, Everflex. It hurts more to know you're out there, so close to perfect. And so far away.

PS - Any other suits that fit like this one, with comparable awesome lining and seals, but have a normal zipper?? I tried the WaterProof W4, and while it seems solid, the seals on the large were nowhere near as snug, and the fit of the suit was nowhere near as good as the Everflex. Plus it really does make you look like Tron, which I'm not sure I can pull off.

Back
Top Bottom