Fill wet lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maxo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How and when do you fill the dome with water?
Before the dive?
Or do you let it flood by itself while diving?

The dome stays airtight, even on a wet lens. If your talking about a wet lens like the inon UWL-100 with a dome, the only wet bit is where the lens joins to the existing camera port, the dome is sealed to the Inon lens with an o-ring. The gap between the existing port and the lens will flood, if it doesn't, you might end up with lines on the image.

If your talking about a dome port directly on an enclosure, then its all dry (hopefully!).

I don't know about the Inon. I do know that the Meikon WA wet lens needs water between the camera housing and the lens to work right. Not inside the dome, but between the housing and the back side of the wet lens. I think Meikon says to put it on (or take it off and put it back on) after you get in the water. The impression I have is that it will not flood (or not quickly) if you put it on before you get in.

But, I have not used a wet lens yet, so my comments are just based on what I've read as I shop for a WA wet lens.

I would like to know how well it works to dunk the wet lens and housing in a dunk tank, screw them together there, then take it out of the dunk tank and get in the water. Screwing the wet lens on under water seems like a royal PITA. Also, if it won't flood properly if you put it together on the surface then get in, then it seems like it probably wouldn't "unflood" very easily, if you put it together in a dunk tank, take it out, and jump in, either.

I have never had an issue with any of several wet lenses I have. Rarely I get a bubble between the port and lens and I just shake/rock the camera gently. The adapters have holes to allow flooding, put the lens on, jump in, shoot.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom