Dome Performance: Ikelite/Nauticam/Zen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a semi professonal phorographer trying to figure out which used gear to buy and need to pick up a camera, lens, and housing that will give me the best results without breaking the bank. In a perfect world I'd go full Nauticam but the Nauticam housings alone are $4k+ new which is far too much for me when I add everything else up. Inititally I'm looking for a dome to do split shots and figure I can always haul the dome underwater for shots or to shoot video even if it's large size is burdensome.

I'm looking for a dome (ideally 9") and learning towards an Ikelite housing with a Canon 5D or A7RIII, 16-35mm lens, and Zen DP-230 dome. I've heard good things about Nauticam domes haven't seen any type of comparison between dome performance/optical quality and don't understand compatibility with housings.

How does the optical performance of these domes compare? Is there a noticable difference (or is there anything else I should be looking at):

Nauticam 9"dome:
Nauticam NA-120 9 inch Optical Glass Dome Port

Zen DP-230 (9 inch) dome:
DP-230 230mm Fisheye Dome Port

Ikelite 8" Dome:
DL 8 inch Dome Port

Is it possible to use an older or new style nauticam dome on an ikelite housing?

What camera do you use above water? Are you Canon? If so, lenses are typically 100mm f/2.8, 16-36 f/2.8 or f/4 and 8-15 fisheye. I use Ikelite with an R5. Have always used Ikelite and never found a reason to go with a more expensive housing. YMMV. If you use Sony, then build around Sony would be my suggestion. Being familiar with topside camera will help with whatever you use underwater. I have Ikelite 8" dome and macro flat ports. Never felt they limited me in any way. I use DS160 strobes. They are great, but heavy. I do like Ikelites TTL though.

Good points, thanks for sharinng. I will probably also want to add an HDMI out port for an outside screen but as I understand you have to request the upgrade for the large bore M24 port for $300 if you already have a housing or buy one used.

I haven't settled on a camera but I have nikon, canon, a few panasonic GH5 cameras for video, but no Sony cameras. The bulk of what I plan to do is freshwater snorkling and photographing freshwater fish and a lot of shooting blind so I'm not sure how important the autofocus is which is why I'm between a canon 5DMkIV, EOS R5, and A7RIII or A7RV.

Lot of people who's photo's inspire me use the A7RIII or A7RV but I don't know if the cost increase for the autofocus is worth it. I don't need an insane amount of megapixels but would hate for a lot of my photos to come out badly but don't have the experience to know if the autofocus is that important for my use case or not.

I would see no reason to go Sony, especially if you already own Nikon and Canon. The 5DMkIV is a great camera, but why go with an old camera? Unless you're chomping to get there or have am upcoming trip... I would suggest waiting for the Canon R5 MkII. Once invest in a housing, you're lock in. I'm a Canon guy, so feel free to switch my answer to Nikon as well. Also, I'm a still photographer. Sounds like you might be more into video. If so, why not Canon R5C?

I would see no reason to go Sony, especially if you already own Nikon and Canon. The 5DMkIV is a great camera, but why go with an old camera? Unless you're chomping to get there or have am upcoming trip... I would suggest waiting for the Canon R5 MkII. Once invest in a housing, you're lock in. I'm a Canon guy, so feel free to switch my answer to Nikon as well. Also, I'm a still photographer. Sounds like you might be more into video. If so, why not Canon R5C?

Apprecaite the advice. Trying to balance price with requirements and performance without knowing exactly what I need for performance which makes it challanging :)

Is the autofocus going to be a critical feature I will want? I'm not sure and need to do more work to find out. I don't think I need anything brand new to shoot the best pictures and buying slightly older used older cameras to save some money has worked well for me in the past but good point about being locked into a housing. I guess I figure with the money I save going with a used Ikelite housing and camera it will make upgrading easier in 5 years if I am still doing this all the time. I was thinking of doing video too but now thinking maybe I'll just use a GoPro and just stick with still photographs. I probably won't be out shooting until early spring in 5 months so plenty of time to wait and watch for deals.

For some reason my last post didn't make it... The new cameras have amazing eye locking AF which works great for fish and wildlife. The R6MkII AF is even better, but at a decrease in megapixels. Hopefully R5 gets one more firmware update before the MkII.

I'm a semi professonal phorographer trying to figure out which used gear to buy and need to pick up a camera, lens, and housing that will give me the best results without breaking the bank. In a perfect world I'd go full Nauticam but the Nauticam housings alone are $4k+ new which is far too much for me when I add everything else up. Inititally I'm looking for a dome to do split shots and figure I can always haul the dome underwater for shots or to shoot video even if it's large size is burdensome.

I'm looking for a dome (ideally 9") and learning towards an Ikelite housing with a Canon 5D or A7RIII, 16-35mm lens, and Zen DP-230 dome. I've heard good things about Nauticam domes haven't seen any type of comparison between dome performance/optical quality and don't understand compatibility with housings.

How does the optical performance of these domes compare? Is there a noticable difference (or is there anything else I should be looking at):

Nauticam 9"dome:
Nauticam NA-120 9 inch Optical Glass Dome Port

Zen DP-230 (9 inch) dome:
DP-230 230mm Fisheye Dome Port

Ikelite 8" Dome:
DL 8 inch Dome Port

Is it possible to use an older or new style nauticam dome on an ikelite housing?

An acrylic dome is not going to compare to a coated optical glass dome. Acrylic can get excellent results but optical glass is just going to be better and more $$.

Generally you have to stick with the ports and dome particular to the manufacturer though there are adapters in some cases. Ikelite is just a little too farm tech for me and kinda clutzy to use. You could hold your money close to the vest and wait for a used Nauticam. Lesson Number 1 for UW photography, anything beyond a P&S snappy TG6 is going to be $$$$$.

There is a sort of still alive forum called Wet Pixel. You have to be a member to read or post and not sure the forum is taking new members, kind of some weird things going on. But if you can, it too has a used equipment section.

You might also contact @David Haas on this forum. He is a pro and often deals in both new and used equipment and will shoot straight with you with advice and perhaps a lead on a suitable rig.

For some reason my last post didn't make it... The new cameras have amazing eye locking AF which works great for fish and wildlife. The R6MkII AF is even better, but at a decrease in megapixels. Hopefully R5 gets one more firmware update before the MkII.

Interesting I wasn't sure how wel the eye autofocus would work underwater, taht's good to know!

Will shoot David Haas a message, thanks for the suggestion!

There is a sort of still alive forum called Wet Pixel. You have to be a member to read or post and not sure the forum is taking new members, kind of some weird things going on. But if you can, it too has a used equipment section

I wouldn't touch wet pixel with a 10 foot pole! I believe that membership is on hold also.

I'd contact the reputable UW camera stores in the US and check if they have used equipment for sale; Backscatter, Blue water photo and reef photo.

Well, I did not exactly g
I wouldn't touch wet pixel with a 10 foot pole! I believe that membership is on hold also.
I did not exactly give it a ringing endorsement :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom