Bonaire Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We don't do the boat trips, just shore dives. Are we missing anything?
Well, that all depends, depends on who you talk to, whether you like boats etc. I always enjoy mixing boat with my shore diving in Bon. A few reasons. Boat dives are cheaper in Bon than anyplace else I have visited. You get to sites you can't get to by shore. You get a different view of the island and depending on where you stay and who you dive with it is easier and less effort than shore (truck).

Shore diving is great on Bonaire but boat dives are nice too. Some sites are just easier as boat dives IMO, like Hilma Hooker and there is very nice diving around Klein Bonaire.

To dive the east side sites like Turtle City you need to do boat dives. Pretty rough water though on the zodiac. You get totally geared up in the bay and go for a wild ride! Several people on the boat got sick though, it's as rough as it looks from shore. Very different underwater there, very large coral structures. Definitely worth it, but not for everyone

If you want cheap on Bonaire, one option is Dive Hut - my 2012 trip report. I liked it fine for what it was; a reputable but cheap option with the compromise of being off-the-water so no ocean view or house reef (which means fewer dives on the trip, since night diving a house reef is so easy & convenient).

People can argue 'best,' but it is a good option for some.

Richard.

Best places to stay without breaking the bank?

I stay at Coco Palm Garden Bonaire budget vacation accommodation - scuba diving - windsurfing). Apartments with a full kitchen, bathroom, living area, bedroom, patio with grill (charcoal). AC at extra cost but usually unnecessary in the winter. Apartments are in an enclosed area and are quiet. Cooking for myself saves a ton of money and (for me) is more convienient. Coco Palm brings in a local restaurant to provide a $10 buffet on tues & thurs evenings when 10 or more are interested. Mirasol is a mere $64/night. Others are as high as $86/night but are bigger.

I have them arrange my truck and unlimited air packages as they have always beat what I could find on my own. Their driver will pick you up at the airport and take you to Coco or your vehicle rental depending on time of arrival. If you get in too late for vehicle pick-up the truck rental will deliver next morning. The location is just across the main north/south road about at Bachelors’ Beach (mid island N/S). Convenient to get into Kralendijk, the markets/gas, northern or southern dive sites. Air is through Dive Friends Bonaire - five locations spread north and south - pick up and drop off at any location Dive Friends Bonaire - Best Bonaire Diving and Services. If you are Nitrox certified the upgrade is free. I think 2 morning boat dives are $50-$60. Way less than elsewhere in the Caribbean and better diving as well.

Most of the resort dive shops allow you to dive their house reef - either for free or for a small fee. There are over 80 shore diving sites and boat dives can be alacart or done as a package. No problem whatsoever with diving solo. All things considered I don't think it can be beat. For what I would spend for a week at a resort I can stay two weeks at Coco. This Nov/Dec – two weeks for $1900 – no single suppliment, which is great for me. I don't find being off the water with no house reef limits my diving in any way.

We don't do the boat trips, just shore dives. Are we missing anything?
Yes, there are some terrific dives only accessible by boat. Klein has a number, plus several northern sites, for example Rappel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom