Current Status of Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel x 15
Turks & Caicos x 6
Cayman Islands x 4
Bahamas x 3
Roatan x 1
Bonaire x 1
Belize x 1

I will never return to the last 4 places
Bahamas - diving is not very good
Roatan - security risk
Bonaire - crime
Belize - filth
Hi @Doc Harry

T&C: Providenciales liveaboard and/or land? Grand Turk?

Caymans: Grand Cayman? Little Cayman? Cayman Brac? liveaboard?

I am here in Bonaire now and its our first time here. I heard a lot about the vehicle crime at dive sites, but so far so good (I also leave barely anything in the truck). Grand Cayman is so different as they are a financially stable country. You could leave your wallet on the table for a few days and it would still be there. I find the staff at every place we have been to be fabulous and friendly. I do see 2 clearly different mixes of people and could see why you would have issues with locals from the island. Definely a different vibe from them, but the businesses (local) that we have visited have been beyond friendly.

Hi @Doc Harry

T&C: Providenciales liveaboard and/or land? Grand Turk?

Caymans: Grand Cayman? Little Cayman? Cayman Brac? liveaboard?

Land-based diving from Provo and Grand Turk (Bohio)
Land-based diving from Little Cayman Beach Resort

I heard a lot about the vehicle crime at dive sites, but so far so good (I also leave barely anything in the truck).

We stayed at Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire and someone broke into our room while we were in the room, and tried to rob us. The room safe was a joke - a small safe attached to a short detachable shelf in the closet. LOL. We left our truck empty and the windows rolled down. The front seats in the truck wouldn't lock, so when I accelerated the front seats rolled backwards. When I braked, the seats rolled forward. There were holes in the floorboard. Buddy's told us that was the best truck they could provide. Buddy's had so few plates and silverware that at meal time you had to stand around and wait for clean dishes to come out from the kitchen. That was a truly ghetto operation.

Thanks for those with honest feedback. Is sounds like my questions have been answered and there has not been any change to the positive. Unfortunately, for now, we will have to leave this beautiful island and its fantastic freedom of diving off of our agenda.
Off topic, but we will be diving Socorro for the first time this year!! So excited. Most likely won't see the Carib until 2025.
Thanks again and hope you all have a great 2024. Happy Diving!

When was this?
Maybe 10 years ago

I forgot to mention, we were on the ground floor at Buddy, and the door to the patio had a broken lock. We kept asking to change rooms or have the lock fixed, but Buddy wouldn't do either. All I could think about was the room safe with our passports and money that someone could easily pick up and carry out.

I am here in Bonaire now and its our first time here. I heard a lot about the vehicle crime at dive sites, but so far so good (I also leave barely anything in the truck). Grand Cayman is so different as they are a financially stable country. You could leave your wallet on the table for a few days and it would still be there. I find the staff at every place we have been to be fabulous and friendly. I do see 2 clearly different mixes of people and could see why you would have issues with locals from the island. Definely a different vibe from them, but the businesses (local) that we have visited have been beyond friendly.
I was there for new years previously. My god did the streets line with red paper. Fireworks went off for 48 hours straight it seemed lol

Bohio on GT is closed. Both Provo and GT land based. No shore diving at either location.

Bohio on GT is closed. Both Provo and GT land based. No shore diving at either location.
Sad
Bohio was excellent. As was the diving. They were wiped out by a hurricane and I'm not sure they ever opened again. We had reservations there that year because they said they were going to reopen for us. But at the last minute they couldn't get the water running so we diverted to Provo since we already had airline tickets. The diving from Provo was AWESOME. Lots of sharks. I'll go back there again.

Back
Top Bottom