Current Status of Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really despise when people refer to another person's life experience as a "bias."

Really despise that.
You've never been to Roatan, have you?

OP,
Been going to Bonaire of and on since the 90s. It has changed, there has been a lot of growth, first in the size and number of gated communities, primarily owned by Dutch citizens and other non residents. Enough so that the rumblings of "it's an apartheid state" have begun in certain quarters. Lately there has been a construction boom in the resort sector. Both have likely brought an influx of foreign workers. So yes I would say the island is changing, and there is likely some resentment brewing. The government is actively pursuing non diving tourists, and the gains from all this increased tourism and alien ownership does not seem to benefit all of the residents equally.

Am I going to stop going? No, I love the place, and when I'm there I spend as locally as possible.

All of the issues that exist on the island are imported.

You've never been to Roatan, have you?
I've been to Roatan and Bonaire.

I won't return to either place.

I thought the diving in Bonaire was really awesome but the crime is unacceptable.

Roatan diving was also great but there has been too much dynamite fishing, and the mosquitoes were hell.

I've been to Roatan and Bonaire.

I won't return to either place.

I thought the diving in Bonaire was really awesome but the crime is unacceptable.

Roatan diving was also great but there has been too much dynamite fishing, and the mosquitoes were hell.
Dynamite fishing? What the heck?

Agreed, mozzies are hell, as are sandflies(noseeums), brutal, but not all of the time.

Vast fields of obliterated coral interspersed with beautiful reef. The guide said it was from dynamite fishing.
And you saw this whilst diving in Roatan? Whereabouts?

We dove out of Anthony's Key. The areas of obliterated coral were fairly commonplace.
Most of that area is RMP, can't imagine it's recent dynamite fishing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom