Archon 32650 Battery Dead Without Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "brand" is an Archon-labeled battery, but who knows who the actual manufacturer is. Below is a shot of the battery. Perhaps I should have read the label LOL.

I may consider a better charger if this experience becomes commonplace. Thanks again for your replies.
archon_zpscraqo90v.jpg

Ah, that's pretty useless isn't it? Some shrink wrap on some unknown cell. A not uncommon practice though.

It the 'revival' turns out to be a dud, please take the time to cut off the shrink wrap. There may be writing on the can that will let us figure out the actual cell. You can also see the protection circuit that way.

Well, it took FOREVER for the Trustfire to came in from China. I have no idea why this is, I order stuff from Japan and comes to me within a week.

Anyway, I tried the battery trick of putting the two positive ends together and running a wire across the negative ends. I did this for a few seconds, as outlined in the photo. It did not have any effect, the battery still will not charge in the included charger. The included charger charged the Trustfire battery when it arrived no problem.

So I would consider a better charger, but I noticed a comment made at the Battery University site that said:
"Do not boost lithium-based batteries back to life that have dwelled below 1.5V/cell for a week or longer. Copper shunts may have formed inside the cells that can lead to a partial or total electrical short."

So should I just consider this battery history? I don't want to invest in a charger, only to find out it's going to have no effect on the battery. I thinking I may as well just pick up another Trustfire as a backup and be done with it.

Thanks again for your relies.

If you have a hobby charger you can do a discharge test. Else use a trickle charger to revive them and see if they can hold a stable voltage for 24 hours. If not, then it is time to chuck them out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom