Review Orca Torch D550

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Full disclosure: I was given this light for free to review. I used it for a year before writing this.

The Product: Comes in a nice little box with 2 batteries, extra o-rings, charger, wrist leash and a soft handle.

Box is nothing special but I did put some random small stuff in it and repurposed it for organizational duty.
Two batteries and additional o-rings being included is a big plus to me. It is nice to not have to order spares for a new product.

The light itself is well made. All the machining looks good, sealing surfaces are smooth and finished properly, threads mate nicely for smooth disassembly and overall it is obvious that the details of manufacturing, start to finish are paid attention to. The button seems to be a magnet on a spring. it is pretty sloppy in there (in the proper way) so it won't jamb up and functions nicely. (more on this below). The handle, which i used once, just to say I did, seems good enough. It is comfortable, and does not feel like it will come of or the light would come out of it. I've had it well over 100' plenty and, no leaks.

The light itself works well in both clear blue water and the not so clear NJ water. I couldn't tell you the beam angle but I would call it a good universal angle, not too narrow for clear water use and not too wide to create annoying backscatter in lower vis. I used it as a backup primarily, but did use is as a primary for day bluewater dives and as unluck would have it, had to use it twice in a backup situation.

My (non)issue with the light:
From the start I was suspicious of the real world functionality of the switch. I thought it would get hit all the time and turn on. This happened a number of times and frustrated me. I changed where I put it, still happened. It wasn't happening every dive but more than a 1/5. I was frustrated but kept using it figuring I could get it to work since it was otherwise a nice compact backup light. I could not get it to be cooperative and was ready to give up on it. I was gearing up for training and mentioned my frustration with it to my instructor and he instantly replied, just twist it. I turned it on, started unscrewing the case and it shut off. Twisting it on, it turns right on so it functions either way, twist or button. So what I thought was an issue, I now look at as a nice feature. I can stow it and use it in a traditional manner (twist on/off) and use the button if I want to. If you get anything from this review, this is it. Twist on/off for backup use/stowing, and use the button for easy on/off when looking in crevices or when the convince of the button is a benefit.

Overall it is a nice little light and is going to permanently replace a two battery DGX light since it is more compact and just feels better overall. five stars.
20230522_212544-jpg.832520
20230522_212257.jpg

Attachments

• 20230522_212544.jpg
    20230522_212544.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 179
They have since changed their cases to something a little better. It's a soft case but zippers all the way around. At least I like it better than the cheap feeling plastic boxes.

Thanks for the detailed review.

I've had the D550 for 2 years now and been very happy with it (although I agree the plastic case it came in is pretty much worthless). I attached a bolt snap to the end and clip it on my harness left shoulder strap d-ring and have never had a problem with it accidentally turning on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom