Let's Hear about Your Bad Training Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... the kid who showed up for OW class and damn near drowned himself attempting the swim test. It was only then that he told me he couldn't swim and the reason he signed up for scuba lessons was to overcome his fear of the water. This was AFTER I had told him prior to the class that there was a required swim test before he could start the in-water training. Class ended right after I pulled him out of the pool ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's like taking up skydiving to overcome fear of heights. :facepalm:

The drysuit specialty was kinda a waste of time for me, except for one vital piece of information...
Briefs not boxers.

... the kid who showed up for OW class and damn near drowned himself attempting the swim test. It was only then that he told me he couldn't swim and the reason he signed up for scuba lessons was to overcome his fear of the water. This was AFTER I had told him prior to the class that there was a required swim test before he could start the in-water training. Class ended right after I pulled him out of the pool ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Iv'e heard of that once before on SB, but would think it is not exceedingly rare, based on my observations of the swim test.
To OP--As you probably know, AOW (PADI) is no longer to my knowledge required for Rescue-- only Adventure Diver. But what the heck, you got 2 more dives which may have cost you anyway if by charter boat. And there may even be some flukey dive op that requires AOW for deeper dives even if you HAVE Rescue. Who knows.

And there may even be some flukey dive op that requires AOW for deeper dives even if you HAVE Rescue. Who knows.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. Since several (most or all?) agencies only put a "recommended" depth limit on OW lower than what you get with AOW the only purpose seems to be a money grab for boats that also sell training or students who genuinely want to improve their skills. In the case of the former, they might be able to push an AOW class on a diver with a rescue card that never took AOW. I have seen court cases that have certification levels as a key component, but every one I can remember was about OW, Rescue, Cave, or Instructor certifications. There is a reference to a mention of AOW in a court case in the UK, but the citation is paywalled. The citation makes it sound like the testimony was just a bash on PADI's prerequisites for AOW certs.

That's like taking up skydiving to overcome fear of heights. :facepalm:

I have ridden with several skydiving students to altitude only to have them decide not to jump and to ride the airplane back to the ground. The fear is real. Sorry about the hijack.

So i was the instructor...I showed her 3 ways of doing it, but she just couldn't get it. I had to refund her money and not certify her.

Hats off to you for that; considering you had already committed the time for the training so compensation is "game". But not certifying someone that you dont feel safe is golden. The little loss on your part should help to build solid reputation of your integrity that is priceless.

No my turn; myself and i'm sure many had experienced being sort of "forced" into buy over priced equiptment by the shop or instructor. Sometimes later find out that the stuff is not what one desires.

For me this happened in my recent Fundies course. I dont mind so much the high cost of the course for instructor time and quality of training. The occasional lack of patience was discouraging but no big deal since Fundies is reputed for its discipline. I dont even mind not passing since i did not meet the standard of able to maintain trim in 30 degree.

But the cost of the full MSRP GUE required equipment that got thrown at me really annoyed me leading my lost of faith because it began to feel like the business model of certain agencies folks complains about. So i chose to not to "drink the coolade" and see what else the diving world has to offer.

Some day i shall meet a "Jedi"...

You can buy the BP/W on EBay. But the Halcyon stuff holds its value pretty well, it was still $500 for an infinity when I bought mine on eBay. However DSS is about that new and you can normally rent the gear. EE will rent you everything you need for a tech pass for $100 per day, including two sets of doubles. You have to supply the exposure suit at that price, but a dry suit and undergarment is $40 per day.

Thanks for the tip Kev. I looked into that.

Not complaining about the major components such as the BC. I know that ones gets what one pays for most of the time and that life preserving components shouldnt be skimped.

Yes thank god we had some Rentals.

I wouldnt have a fit about shelling out for good stuff as Halcyon for critical gears if i decide to commit & invest.

What annoyed me was that the little things as long hose, fittings, clips, line reels etc. was just over priced not by a little. Just leaves a bad taste.

And to self correct above, "some day i shall find a true Jedi still fighting the evil Empire..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom