Zika in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please, no one rise to the climate change denial bait, OK?
Well since you brought it up....... :stirpot:we have had the coolest August in N. Texas I can remember, which proves or disproves absolutely nothing, but it does allow for lots of mosquitoes.

Last edited:
My only point was that the current panic over Zika was unwarranted
Unless it's your baby born with brain problems?

why do so many people chose to ignore what I wrote about it still being a good idea to take precautions, and act as if I said the opposite?
Maybe because you put so much emphasis on skeptitism and so little on precautions?

I read a post on FB from a guy who lives there who bascially said he didn't care, he had 'developed a resistance' to mosquitoes and lets them bite him. Zika won't bother him
That same guy will also post about medical problems that do hit him, so then they are real. I like the fellow, but would not take medical advice from him.

Well since you brought it up....... :)stirpot:) we have had the coolest August in N. Texas I can remember...
Kindly take a few minutes to study the differences of weather and climate change. Both are real but different.

image.png
Always good advice.

I refuse to let fear and overblown media reports dictate my travel plans. Headed to Europe in October as well.
Careful now, I hear they have culture there. Luckily there's no evidence it's contagious. :p

CDC Only Releasing Data on Zika-Related Birth Defects, Not Healthy Births

By Penny Starr | September 8, 2016 | 12:12 PM EDT

(CNSNews.com) – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are collecting data on women who are pregnant and infected with the Zika virus and the number of children born with birth defects, but they are not reporting the number of children born from virus-infected mothers who have no birth defects.

A blog written by CDC Director Tom Frieden and Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, reported that laboratory tests have confirmed that there were 1,595 women in the U.S. and its territories that are pregnant and infected with the Zika virus. They also reported that 17 babies from those pregnancies had been born in the United States “with birth defects related to Zika.”

CNSNews.com asked the CDC if it could provide the number of children from mothers infected with the virus who were born without birth defects.

A spokesman responded that the voluntary “registry” created by the CDC does not track those babies.

“We are only reporting the number of pregnant women in the registry and [the] number of adverse outcomes,” the spokesman said via email. “Bottom line is we're not reporting other outcomes because we are just beginning to understand the full spectrum of adverse outcomes associated with Zika infection in pregnancy.

“The decision was made to only report [the] number of pregnancies and adverse outcomes at this point,” the spokesman said.

“Zika virus infection during pregnancy can cause microcephaly and other severe fetal brain defects,” the CDC stated on its website devoted to the Zika pregnancy registry. “Infection during pregnancy has also been linked to adverse outcomes including pregnancy loss, and eye defects, hearing loss, and impaired growth in infants.

“Despite these observations, many questions remain about the risks of Zika virus infection during pregnancy,” the CDC added. “Information about the timing, absolute risk, and spectrum of outcomes associated with Zika virus infection during pregnancy is needed to direct public health action related to Zika virus and guide testing, evaluation, and management.”

In fact, there is evidence that many women infected with the Zika virus have healthy babies.

A June 28 article on the Medical Xpress website cited a recent report by the New England Complex Systems Institute (NECSI), published in the New England Journal of Medicine, that revealed 12,000 Zika-infected women gave birth to children without microcephaly.

“In Colombia, a study of 12,000 pregnant, Zika-infected women reported in the New England Journal of Medicine had not shown any cases of microcephaly,” the article stated, adding that there is no absolute certainty yet about the link between the virus and birth defects.

“The new report from Colombia states that there are a total of 11 confirmed cases of microcephaly with Zika infections until June 18, five more than the number confirmed as of the previous week,” the Medical Xpress article stated.

“The previous confirmed case, the sixth, was confirmed four weeks earlier. According to the NECSI analysis, it and the five other reported cases of microcephaly with Zika infections were consistent with the random co-occurence of each of them separately, and therefore should not be attributed to Zika as the cause,” the article stated.

“The five new confirmed Zika and microcephaly cases provide the best evidence available for an impending microcephaly epidemic in Colombia,” the article stated. “In an updated report released today, NECSI points out that given the timing and number of Zika-affected pregnancies, the total can be expected to rise to 200 microcephaly cases in the next few months.

“This means the rate of such births should rise dramatically, reaching over 10 microcephaly and Zika births each week, well above the background rate,” the article stated. “Whether or not Zika and microcephaly are linked will be conclusively determined from reports over the next few weeks.”

In fact, there is evidence that many women infected with the Zika virus have healthy babies.
Blah, blah, what? Russian roulette is safe most of the time. What is your point here? Childbirth has always carried risks, but today we try to minimize those.

Personally, I am not concerned about fathering babies - been off of that market for decades, but I'd still hate to bring it back and become a transmission agent to others. Latest reports show that the disease lives in the eye and can cause blindness, so it may well be more than a minor problem to adults even beyond reproduction ages.

Blah, blah, what? Russian roulette is safe most of the time. What is your point here? Childbirth has always carried risks, but today we try to minimize those.

Personally, I am not concerned about fathering babies - been off of that market for decades, but I'd still hate to bring it back and become a transmission agent to others. Latest reports show that the disease lives in the eye and can cause blindness, so it may well be more than a minor problem to adults even beyond reproduction ages.

According to one of most reliable gossip doctors in Cozumel, as of now there have been NO babies here with Zika related birth defects (AKA Small heads). That is pretty surprising based on that fact that most women here of child bearing age are/were pregnant. We've had 4 DMs with it and mainly a rash.

Dave

According to one of most reliable gossip doctors in Cozumel, as of now there have been NO babies here with Zika related birth defects (AKA Small heads). That is pretty surprising based on that fact that most women here of child bearing age are/were pregnant. We've had 4 DMs with it and mainly a rash.

Dave
That's nice. Many who contracted polio exhibited mild symptoms or even none, yet it's still best to avoid it.

That's nice. Many who contracted polio exhibited mild symptoms or even none, yet it's still best to avoid it.

Hey DD, I'm not taking any position on this and worry too. Just yesterday while at a pharmacy I bought a bottle of DEET for a young lady who appeared newly pregnant. She asked why? The pharmacist had to tell her why.

Just Reporting what I see and hear.

The other DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom