New book on Cozumel and response to a request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Graduado

Contributor
Reaction score
The first part of this post is in response to a request sent to me by Scubaboard’s gopbroek. The second part is an announcement of my newest book on Cozumel.

Part 1: Gopbroek's answer

Some Catholics in Mexico say 46 rosaries beginning on October 28 and running up to the feast day on December 12 in a dedication to the version of the Virgin Mary they call Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe. The number 46 is derived from the number of stars on the image’s robe. Others say a novena, or nine days of prayers beginning December 3. Still others (called Marianos Guadalupanos) participate in a procession carrying torches (the torch bearers are called antorchistas) and an image (painting or statue) of the Virgin of Guadalupe. Whether it is the 46 rosaries, the novena, or the procession, they all have the same quid pro quo: “I do this for you, and you grant me a wish.” The processions are officially banned in Cozumel due the safety and traffic problems, but they do it anyway, just like convoys of ATVs and Jeeps are prohibited on the island but are undeterred by the law and unbothered by the police.

Part 2: My new book on Cozumel

A new part of the celebration (begun in 1963) is the removal, cleaning, and then a procession of cleaned-up Virgin of Chankanaab statue. The bronze statue (it is the second one; the first one was stolen a few years ago) is then replaced on the sea bed at Chankanaab on the fourth Sunday in October. To read the true story of how the original statue of the Virgin (as well as the statue of Christ) got to Chankanaab, you can read my newest book, Cozumel’s Golden Years, available on Amazon. It is a 400 page, 7-inch by 10-inch softbound book, available in color or black and white editions. An eBook version is also available. This new book describes the origins of the dive industry in Cozumel in text and over 300 images of the old (1950s through 2000s) dive shops, dive boats, surface interval beaches, dive guides, and dive shop owners. It also traces the origins of the restaurant and hotel industry on Cozumel from the 1940s through the 2000s, as well as the carnivals, Three Kings parades, and much more. This book will bring back many memories for those of you who were able to visit the island before it was overrun with cruise ships.

Back
Top Bottom