Vyper Air & data transfer cable: expected behaviour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArthurGerla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
On two consecutive liveaboard trips my Vyper failed to automatically detect the presence of the cable and enter data transfer mode. Very frustrating if you urgently want to review what happened decowise on the last dive.
Once home: no such issues, everything downloads just fine. Same laptop, same software. Could it be that I need to wait for the Vyper to enter sleep mode before connecting the cable and firing up the laptop?

Were the connections dry and or clear of salt residue? Damp connections or salt residue could be interfering with the connection between the cable and the dc.

It ain't a great connection system. My wife's is always screwing up. I'm completely unimpressed.

I recommend washing the computer with fresh water and letting it dry out. If you see the icon AC on the computer, it won't switch to data transfer mode

It's always a problem with my Vyper. Wiggle the connector a bit and it usually works. BTW, you have to put it in "TR-PC" mode before connecting.

I'm pretty sure my Vyper Air doesn't have a menu option to enter data transfer mode. It detects the presence of the cable automatically. And yes, I have RTFM cover to cover :p

Sorry. I thought the only difference between the classic and air model was air integration.

My problem is that my Vyper Air will detect the cable, but will not download any data. It will act like it is, and will tell me that the DM5 logs are synced, but it has not added any dives since June 26. For a while, I could download my dives to Subsurface, but now it won't even do that. Luckily, I have a Cobra that I can download my dives into Subsurface and then manually enter my tank pressures pre- and post dive. I have tried downloading from different computers but get the same result with each one. I can also use the same cable to download my wife's info from her Zoop to her DM5 and Subsurface accounts.

As for computer dive operations, everything works as it should. My Vyper Air and Cobra show the exact same info as pertains to the dive. I really like the Vyper Air. It's just that it will no longer download.

I have contacted Suunto support concerning this and have sent them everything they have requested to figure out what is wrong. I have not heard from them in a month and they have not responded to any of my emails. The computer is still under warranty until next June and if I don't hear anything soon (as in before the end of this month) they will be hearing a lot from me. I do not intend to be ignored much longer.

Back
Top Bottom