My Detailed Initial In-Water Impressions of Garmin Mk3i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The biggest difference between the T1 and T2 is the ability to use the diver-to-diver messaging system, which I don’t see as being a useful feature, but maybe someone will prove me wrong.

lol the last thing I want is the ability to have scuba text messages 🤣

That's a good point on the T1 price drop though. I'll have to keep an eye out so I can snag another

That's a good point on the T1 price drop though. I'll have to keep an eye out so I can snag another
In the old days of diving, we used to make a little OK sign to our buddy and he would respond back with the same sign to let us know that he’s OK 👌. No underwater text messaging was necessary.

Battery Life
The battery on these Garmin computers is nothing short of amazing.
Back in December, I kept forgetting to charge my Mk2i in the Maldives, but the computer still had more than 40% battery life after three days and six dives. Luckily, it appears that Mk3i hasn’t lost anything regarding battery life. A few quick stats:

8:00am: I turned the Mk3i on, and the battery was at 97%. Started wearing it for the day.​
2:26pm: First dive begins, run time of 41:25​
3:53pm: Second dive begins, run time of 38:11​
5:25pm: Captured photo of computer battery below. Battery is at 93%​

After two dives and nine hours on the wrist, it ate up 4% of its battery. That’s pretty good.

There are a couple of important things to note. First, I do NOT wear these computers outside of dive days. They are not everyday smartwatches for me, so your mileage may vary depending on your usage characteristics. Second, I don't have the screen set to "always on", which means that it wakes up when you turn your wrist - this does save on battery life. Finally, I *do* have it set to the brightest screen setting, which drains more battery than its slightly dimmer default setting.

Thank you for posting all that!

The section I quoted particularly caught my eye.

I'm not posting this to debate it or anything like that. Just sharing info, as the Teric has a bad rep for battery life.

One of my Terics was charged to 100% on Dec 20 (2023). I went to Cozumel on Dec 30, for a week. 12 dives, for a total time in water of 10 hours.

My Teric was set on High for Brightness, and I had AI and the compass turned off, as it was just a backup, attached to my CCR.

When I got home, I had still not charged it (since Dec 20).

As of January 30 - almost 6 weeks since being charged, and after 12 dives - it was at 48%.

Again, I'm not posting this to start a debate. Just sharing info, as anyone reading this thread might be shopping for a computer and considering both.

The Garmin Mk3 looks really cool, to me. If I ever wore a watch, I would get one. When diving on OC, having 2 computers is good. Having 2 that are different, but run the same algorithm is even better.

But, I don't ever wear a watch. I have several. I just don't like having anything on my wrist (when I'm not diving). So, I can't convince myself to buy a Descent. For just diving, I have 2 Terics and numerous transmitters, so I'll stick with them. Honestly, if the Descent would read the same transmitters that everybody else (Shearwater, Oceanic, Aqualung, etc..) reads, I would probably get one anyway, just to use as a dive computer, even though I don't wear a watch. They do look cool. I'm definitely a gadgethead and they do appeal!

Thank you for posting all that!

The section I quoted particularly caught my eye.

I'm not posting this to debate it or anything like that. Just sharing info, as the Teric has a bad rep for battery life.

One of my Terics was charged to 100% on Dec 20 (2023). I went to Cozumel on Dec 30, for a week. 12 dives, for a total time in water of 10 hours.

My Teric was set on High for Brightness, and I had AI and the compass turned off, as it was just a backup, attached to my CCR.

When I got home, I had still not charged it (since Dec 20).

As of January 30 - almost 6 weeks since being charged, and after 12 dives - it was at 48%.

Again, I'm not posting this to start a debate. Just sharing info, as anyone reading this thread might be shopping for a computer and considering both.

The Garmin Mk3 looks really cool, to me. If I ever wore a watch, I would get one. When diving on OC, having 2 computers is good. Having 2 that are different, but run the same algorithm is even better.

But, I don't ever wear a watch. I have several. I just don't like having anything on my wrist (when I'm not diving). So, I can't convince myself to buy a Descent. For just diving, I have 2 Terics and numerous transmitters, so I'll stick with them. Honestly, if the Descent would read the same transmitters that everybody else (Shearwater, Oceanic, Aqualung, etc..) reads, I would probably get one anyway, just to use as a dive computer, even though I don't wear a watch. They do look cool. I'm definitely a gadgethead and they do appeal!

Thanks for the info. I have never dove with a Teric, but am very familiar with its functionality as I've assessed it in the past. I don't see any real advantages to someone jumping from a Teric to a Garmin Descent from a pure dive functionality point of view. If someone is looking to move to an all-in-one dive & smartwatch for everyday wear, the Garmin is probably much better positioned. But, for diving, they appear to be close competitors, and it's probably not worth the $1600 cost just to have something new.

I have the Mk2i and it's been a great dive watch but for me, even better, it's been a fantastic everyday watch - it's been game changer for me for tracking my fitness stats, sleep and helping me plan my training and recovery. Now that the 3i is out I plan to give me 2i to my 13 y.o. son and I use the 3i. That way he can use the fitness features as well (he's a competitive athlete who is totally into training and competition).

I have the Mk2i and it's been a great dive watch but for me, even better, it's been a fantastic everyday watch - it's been game changer for me for tracking my fitness stats, sleep and helping me plan my training and recovery. Now that the 3i is out I plan to give me 2i to my 13 y.o. son and I use the 3i. That way he can use the fitness features as well (he's a competitive athlete who is totally into training and competition).
Sounds like a win-win for both of you. Since I wrote the review, I've had 6 more dives and am really liking the changes in the Mk3i, especially the screen. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Don't worry, these are not sms nor social media posts.

The idea of being able to send pre-defined messages has been around for a while including the ability to see other's depth and distance (for example this one from 2008 could text for several hundred meters: UDI-14 wrist unit - UTC )and it can be useful not only for military, training, but also for both tec and rec divers.

Sure, we communicate with hand signals, some also make use of wet notes, some computers introduce the ability to communicate for a slightly longer distance, even when not facing the diver, or to signal the whole group altogether
. I think it can be useful, even of some don't need it.

Thanks for the info. I have never dove with a Teric, but am very familiar with its functionality as I've assessed it in the past. I don't see any real advantages to someone jumping from a Teric to a Garmin Descent from a pure dive functionality point of view. If someone is looking to move to an all-in-one dive & smartwatch for everyday wear, the Garmin is probably much better positioned. But, for diving, they appear to be close competitors, and it's probably not worth the $1600 cost just to have something new.
Just battery life and battery reliability.

Is there a buy and sell option on the board? I have a mk2i I wore on one dive, titanium band I wore a few times for travel, an unused black band and used orange band from a previous watch and a t1 transmitter never used. Watch is too big for my small wrists. Great watch for diving but I don’t dive enough to justify having it and it’s too big for everyday use and would like to sell it if anyone is looking. I didn’t know there was an mk3 available 😔 Probably killed the value of this one!

Is there a buy and sell option on the board? I have a mk2i I wore on one dive, titanium band I wore a few times for travel, an unused black band and used orange band from a previous watch and a t1 transmitter never used. Watch is too big for my small wrists. Great watch for diving but I don’t dive enough to justify having it and it’s too big for everyday use and would like to sell it if anyone is looking. I didn’t know there was an mk3 available 😔 Probably killed the value of this one!
Yes, there’s a Classified section on Scubaboard. You can navigate to it from the main page.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom