Perdix AI v Teric v Garmin MK3i - Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deezer-D

Registered
Reaction score
Bit of a thinking out loud post and looking for opinions/advice.
At present I have a Perdix AI with Aqualung transmitter. I’m a recreational diver and as I’m in my 50s and a new diver, I can’t see myself ever going down the tec route (I know the Perdix is overkill for Rec but I wanted AI).
I need readers to read my phone but can get by without vision correcting lenses to read depth, time, pressure, NDL and GTR on my Perdix AI.
I think I’d like to try a watch style computer and the obvious choice is the Teric as it would keep my logs in the Shearwater Cloud and it’s a familiar interface. I love the idea of it being a watch too but it’s lacking in smart watch functionality (I have an AWU and use the notification alerts and fitness stuff) that I would like - that adds the Garmin MI3i into the mix.
So, can the Teric be configured to show T1 pressure, depth, GTR and NDL on one screen? I’m guessing it’ll be harder to read than the Perdix? I’m happy to charge the Teric regularly as I’m used to this with Apple Watches so battery life isn’t a real issue.
The Garmin would give me watch style, AI and smart watch functionality but at a price - more expensive than the Shearwater option plus the additional cost of a proprietary transmitter (I can use my Aqualung with the Teric) and a new interface to learn.
I’m leaning towards a Teric and sticking reader inserts in my mask but the Garmin is making me think twice.
I will be buying my daughter a Tern TX to replace her Perdix AI when released but it might just be too small for my old eyes.

Any suggestions, based on experience welcome. Also, any suggestions for reader mask inserts would help too.

The perdix 2 has different glass and is very visible. I have had Teric, perdix AI and perdix 2. Only have the 2 now. I used to need readers but am 20/20 now, perdix 2 is more visible.

I found the Teric easier to read than the Perdix AI with my aging eyes. Very slightly smaller font, but much better contrast. Yes, you can configure T1 pressure, depth, GTR and NDL on one screen. It's not a great watch outside of diving, but you have the Apple for that.

I found the Teric easier to read than the Perdix AI with my aging eyes. Very slightly smaller font, but much better contrast. Yes, you can configure T1 pressure, depth, GTR and NDL on one screen. It's not a great watch outside of diving, but you have the Apple for that.
Yes, with the new glass it has changed but I agree with the 2 previous models

I felt there was a lot of empty space on the Perdix & Perdix 2 that I just didn't need. I also prefer the Teric menu navigation -- nothing more maddening on the Perdix than just barely passing the option I wanted.

OP, if you can wait, evaluate the Tern TX for yourself as well. Especially if you're going to get readers anyway.

I don't see the value in the Garmin for you, again because of your AWU.

For max readability, the Petrel combines large font (slightly larger than Perdix) and high contrast of Teric thanks to the AMOLED screen

At present I have a Perdix AI with Aqualung transmitter. I’m a recreational diver and as I’m in my 50s and a new diver, I can’t see myself ever going down the tec route (I know the Perdix is overkill for Rec but I wanted AI).
I need readers to read my phone but can get by without vision correcting lenses to read depth, time, pressure, NDL and GTR on my Perdix AI.
I would take a look at a Ratio iX3M 2 Pro. It is a full size 3 gas (Nitrox, Air & Gauge) computer with air integration. Ratio iX3M 2 Pro Dive Computer | Air Integrated

I think I’d like to try a watch style computer and the obvious choice is the Teric as it would keep my logs in the Shearwater Cloud and it’s a familiar interface. I love the idea of it being a watch too but it’s lacking in smart watch functionality (I have an AWU and use the notification alerts and fitness stuff) that I would like - that adds the Garmin MI3i into the mix.
So, can the Teric be configured to show T1 pressure, depth, GTR and NDL on one screen? I’m guessing it’ll be harder to read than the Perdix? I’m happy to charge the Teric regularly as I’m used to this with Apple Watches so battery life isn’t a real issue.
The Garmin would give me watch style, AI and smart watch functionality but at a price - more expensive than the Shearwater option plus the additional cost of a proprietary transmitter (I can use my Aqualung with the Teric) and a new interface to learn.
I’m leaning towards a Teric and sticking reader inserts in my mask but the Garmin is making me think twice.
I will be buying my daughter a Tern TX to replace her Perdix AI when released but it might just be too small for my old eyes.

Any suggestions, based on experience welcome. Also, any suggestions for reader mask inserts would help too.

Is there something specifically you don’t like about the Perdix Al? Or a feature the Teric has that you’re missing in the Perdix AI. The Teric is every bit of over kill for a rec computer that the Perdix AI is, just in a different form factor. If I were in your shoes I would be inclined to stick withe the Perdix AI. I would also likely not downgrade a computer from the Perdix Al to the Tern. For reference I use the Teric.

The new Garmin’s display does seem much more readable than the MK2i and looks like a great smart watch / dive computer but it and the transmitter are expensive. Speaking of the transmitter, I hate the ticking noise they transmitter makes. I hear it whenever I’m near someone who’s using one. I wouldn’t want to have to listen to that all dive every dive. I’m in my early forties and don’t have particularly good hearing.

Is there something specifically you don’t like about the Perdix Al? Or a feature the Teric has that you’re missing in the Perdix AI. The Teric is every bit of over kill for a rec computer that the Perdix AI is, just in a different form factor. If I were in your shoes I would be inclined to stick withe the Perdix AI. I would also likely not downgrade a computer from the Perdix Al to the Tern. For reference I use the Teric.

The new Garmin’s display does seem much more readable than the MK2i and looks like a great smart watch / dive computer but it and the transmitter are expensive. Speaking of the transmitter, I hate the ticking noise they transmitter makes. I hear it whenever I’m near someone who’s using one. I wouldn’t want to have to listen to that all dive every dive. I’m in my early forties and don’t have particularly good hearing.

I like that you can have 3 mini displays with the Perdix — I can see all parameters I need during a dive without ever changing screen. The Teric has a great contrast and it’s suitable for people like my wife who don’t care about all the data on gas consumption and deco and prefer a smaller form factor.

Hi @Deezer-D

The Teric can display a lot of information on the home screen and is quite easy to read. The right position on the 2nd line and all 3 positions on the 3rd line are configurable. I love the floating north pointer, all I need for drift diving in FL. I would wait for the Tern TX and see if that will meet your needs. The screen is only a bit smaller.
1700924772506.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom