Recommendation between Zeagle scout and ScubaPro Lite hawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SF Brent

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first set of Scuba gear and am starting with a bc. After searching sb I couldn't find much on the Lite hawk in particular and was looking for input from those that have tried it or the Zeagle scout.

I dive mainly cold water and am looking for something simple and something that doesn't constrict the chest torso area. I've considered a BPW setup but it doesn't seem right for me. Looking to spend under $400 for my first bc. Any thoughts on either of these?

I had a scout, dove it for a few months, then used the wing part on an Abyss BP, got a different wing, put the scout back together and eventually gave it away to someone named Merideth (sp) whom I've never met. There's probably nothing "righter" for you than a BP and Wing.

BP and wing is probably the only BCD that does NOT restrict the torso.

The Scout only has 16lb. weight capacity in rear trim pockets so in cold water you may need a belt also. Also it's only a 24lb. lift wing, if SF in your username is the Bay area, it might not be enough lift if you're in a full 7mil and weighted appropriately. Being their entry level model, the wing is not upgradeable - probably sewn in. I'm a Zeagle Ranger owner and owned a Stiletto once so I'm pretty familiar with their back-inflate line.

One other option is an Express Tech Deluxe. It meets your not constrict the chest torso area (better than the Scout) and price limit (barely at $377) and you can add either of their weight systems. It also has a 24 lb. wing but you can upgrade it to a larger 35 - some are sold that way - it's one of their PFS modular line models. Of course those wings aren't cheap either - I traded for a larger one at purchase for just under $100 more IIRC. Zeagle component add-ons run fairly pricey - the ET with the Zip-Touch weight system is $475 - the Ripcord is like $30-40 more.

There's also two ET's still around, the newer Deluxe and the previous model. It's in the $275 range and since it's the same harness it takes all the weight kits/wing systems etc - Deluxe mostly means an added pad kit. They're hard to find as they're selling out but I just saw an ad for one from an online retailer about a week ago. Maybe Scubatoys?

Pro's/Cons of the ET - Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

The Litehawk is more of a travel BC so ensure that 29lbs. of lift is enough lift for your cold water use. It seems like it should be. Add-on weight pockets are available for it also.

One option is to buy the 2013 closeout from Leisurepro - the previous Litehawk had too much lift (56lbs) for some uses. My doubles wing only has 9lbs. more lift...LOL. But it's $249 and they sold a lot of them. http://www.leisurepro.com/p-scplth/scubapro-litehawk-bc-black

Leisurepro is an authorized SP dealer also. Actually Zeagle as well but your local dealer should have the same prices - mine does.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll take a look at the ET deluxe and other Zeagle options.

evad, do you have a recommendation for a beginner bpw setup? Looking at the options, there looks like quite a bit to consider.

Sea Elite TEK X Harness and Wing BCD You can also search this on amazon for 225 incl. shipping. not sure what shipping would be on that site maybe a little less..... Integrated weights, I like mine. I had a Sea Elite travel BCD before but it was jacket style but had NO issues, I do like the S.E name..and its CHEAP but based on my inspection good quality. They have a medium and a large avail on amazon as well.
Also to my surprise includes an LP inflator hose.

Our dive shop regularly orders the Scouts with larger wings. Unless it is something Zeagle has done this model year they are not sewn in and its simple couple minute changeover. Its something that you can ask for when you order it. We use them in our rental/teaching gear and they are about indestructible. Mine is about 10 years old and I changed out the wing about 5 years ago with someone who wanted the 24 lb wing for travel. It probably has 1000 uses, pool and open water on it. Fading is the only issue with it. With Zeagle's adjustable fit sizing they adjust to almost any situation. The power inflator is designed to be unscrewed and attaches to a normal garden hose to rinse out the wings also. I haven't used the Scubapro so I can't help with that one, but I've used the Scout a lot, in all types of environment and with larger steel single tanks and never felt like it couldn't perform.

Questions for the OP:

You said mostly cold water, how much ballast weight do you need? You need to determine how much lift the bcd has to have

How about warm water diving, how often would that be?

How flexible is your $400 budget?

Posts by CP and Diversteve have plenty of good info on Zeagle. The only two people I know with Litehawks really like them, both are very experienced divers.

If the lift works, either a Zeagle or a Litehawk should be a good choice.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the ET deluxe and other Zeagle options.

evad, do you have a recommendation for a beginner bpw setup? Looking at the options, there looks like quite a bit to consider.

The less "deluxe" the better. It's not like you're buying a new 70's Buick.
th

This should work out better for you.

$379.99
DRIS Dive Gear

28lb BP/W System

Back
Top Bottom