Apeks Extotech Vs. ScubaPro Hydros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bhend16

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So being late to the party seems like its bag here. I am buying my first full setup and the Apeks and the Scubapro Hydros are my two top contenders for BC's. I have been reading about both and there seems some division on both, they are either the best thing since sliced bread or they are awful.

I am looking to start to dive locally with a group I found on here and then an annual tropical dive trip. I would like to have the best of both worlds, I know sometimes that is not something you can get, a good travel BC and a good weekly/bi-weekly unit. One reason I am leaning Apeks over Scubapro is the harness, I have been backpacking for years the the lumbar support is very familiar. I also have bad shoulders, so getting some of the weight off my shoulders on the boat would be fantastic.

Now, since the Apeks has been out for a couple of years I wanted to see if people still seem to like it as much with 100-200 dives as they did with 20.

I have searched and keep coming back to this thread, I am just looking for a bit of a longer term case study on the Exotec.

The Apeks is a lot of BC ( as in it's bulky), it doesn't mention anywhere the lift capacity of the wing but it looks like it is too big for a single tank. It has a lot of overly complicated features that aren't necessary. I do not like a single tank strap BC, especially at the bottom of the tank like the Apeks, the top of the tank could flop around. A lot of the parts on the Apeks are proprietary ($$), so you can't use generic parts for repairs. A lot of people have a Scuba Pro Hydros and really like it. Both of these BC's are really expensive.
If you want a back inflate BC, I would look at the Dive Rite Hydro Lite. It has a mountaineering backpack-style harness and a 30 lb wing which would be suitable for both vacation diving and at home diving. It has 2 tank straps but I would change out the bottom one for a cam strap and it's half the price of the other 2 BC's. Hydro Lite BCD - Dive Rite
Have you considered a back plate & wing BC? I have a Sub Gravity BP/W. Paragon Single Tank Package - SubGravity You can get weight pockets for it also.
hopefully I haven't confused you any more.

Have you considered a back plate & wing BC?
Only took one post for this to come up, not everyone wants a B/Wing, or for that matter, a back inflate, most of us on here have one or the other [or both, like me].

The Scubpro Hydros, was that the Hydros pro or the more jacket style Hydros X [that looks bulky] ?
The Apeks is very expensive here, even compared to the Hydros pro , no Idea how the pricing is in the US.

Sorry about the rant, I did delete most of it.
The Hydros X looks just likes another jacket.

Last night I dove for the first time with a BPW setup and I think I have been converted, I believe it was a Hollis ST. I am going to try a couple of different types and setups but speaking with the far more experienced divers I was hanging with last night I think the right path is the BPW. I have some time this weekend I am going to sit down with the dive shop owner and he said we can talk about needs and wants form a BC and he would make sure I am getting into something that works for what I want to do.

So being late to the party seems like its bag here. I am buying my first full setup and the Apeks and the Scubapro Hydros are my two top contenders for BC's. I have been reading about both and there seems some division on both, they are either the best thing since sliced bread or they are awful.

I am looking to start to dive locally with a group I found on here and then an annual tropical dive trip. I would like to have the best of both worlds, I know sometimes that is not something you can get, a good travel BC and a good weekly/bi-weekly unit. One reason I am leaning Apeks over Scubapro is the harness, I have been backpacking for years the the lumbar support is very familiar. I also have bad shoulders, so getting some of the weight off my shoulders on the boat would be fantastic.

Now, since the Apeks has been out for a couple of years I wanted to see if people still seem to like it as much with 100-200 dives as they did with 20.

I have searched and keep coming back to this thread, I am just looking for a bit of a longer term case study on the Exotec.
Both are "A" grade equipment.

If you ask me, I want the BCD that is mostly "behind" me because it facilitates the "basket and blimp" type of diving that is most likely to keep me horizontal and balanced. I shouldn't be diving to service the needs of the BCD, it should be there to service MY needs, which is to keep me floating where I want to be floating and to keep the hell out of my way.

I would advise to try them both and see which one is more comfortable to you.

I am purely recreational and dive two kits. The hydros with A700/ Mk25 carbon and the Apeks WTX harness with MTX RC.

I love the hydros. Why.
A). I love the grab handle. It makes putting on the cyclic der piece of cake. ThecBPW is definately heavier and more difficult
B). The loop at the top for cylinder valve makes putting on the cam belt a cinch and right hight each time
C). It’s light and great for travel. The Apeks is heavier for sure
D). I love all the dump valves on the hydros. Think there are 4
E). My entire kit does fit into the backpack which is great for travel.
F). So easy to modify. I don’t use the integrated weight system but changing it is a 1 minute exercise
G). Dries super fast

I think it’s tough to beat the hydros. I would have liked bigger D Rings tho but it’s my go to rig for sure

I love the hydros. Why.
That's the Hydros pro, right?
And that is the way I use it also.
sp_hydrospro_harness.jpg

Not to be confused with the Hydros X
Which to me is more like a jacket.
HydrosXsq.jpg

Only took one post for this to come up, not everyone wants a B/Wing, or for that matter, a back inflate, most of us on here have one or the other [or both, like me].
Relax dude, I didn't say everyone wants a BP/W. the Op is a new diver, so he may not know about a BP/W setup, so I asked the question. I did not say if he didn't get one he will be a bad diver like a lot of other people on here. By the way I own all 3, a jacket BC, a back inflate BC and a BP/W.

I own all 3, a jacket BC, a back inflate BC and a BP/W.
Cool, I have the same , 1 SP jacket, 2 SS B/Wings, SP and Hog 30lb and 23lb [and 2 al plates], plus 2 Hydros pro, M and S with M harness.
Relax dude,
Anymore relaxed I would fall asleep. :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom