First BCD any Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigMooseWarning

Moose Fish
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I’m buying my first set of scuba gear (previously I have only rented). I’m interested in getting a BP/W or Hybrid BCD. I feel like I have looked at tons of BCDs over the past few weeks. What’s really important to me is quality, longevity, and performance. I don’t mind spending the extra $$ if it means it will last me years! Does anyone have any suggestions? I am open to all the help I can get. I’ve currently been looking at the Zeagle Fury, Apeks Exotec, and Scubapro Hydros.

You could buy the hydros and not put another thought into it for several years, Zeagle makes good stuff but I’m not familiar with the fury, apeks makes good stuff but you can also look at the DGX bp/w kit, put some thought and effort into it up front (Zeagle also has a similar offering but it costs a little more) getting it set up and adjusted and not give it another thought for years and save enough to buy other gear.

As far as hybrids or all-in-one type BCD’s the Hydros is probably the nicest BC in that class.
A true BP/W in it’s pure form is in a class of it’s own. BP/W is the only option that allows for the simplest single tank dives all the way up to the most advanced double tank tech dives with stage bottles. The only thing that gets changed is the wing. It’s pretty hard to compare pre manufactured all-in-one units to a conventional BP/W, apples to oranges.

Hydros Pro. you will never regret it. except the one time when you pay for it. after that, bliss.

As I have said many times, rent each and make your own decision. Only you can decide what is right for you! All of them will get you underwater enjoying the dive, but which is most comfortable above and below water for you is the question you must answer. Take your time, no rush to buy something that will last 20+ years with good maintenance. Buy once, cry once, but get what YOU want and works for YOU!

I have a Hydros Pro and several BP/W rigs.

The Hydros is more comfortable, more stable, quicker to don/doff, and quicker and easier to adjust. BUT, all those things are only very small improvements over a properly setup BP/W.

On the other hand, the Hydros has a lot of plastic and monoprene. If somebody accidentally drops a tank on the waist belt buckle, or a shoulder strap quick release, that Hydros might be done diving for a while, while you're waiting for parts.

Despite being just slightly less comfy, stable, etc.., I would take a BP/W on vacation, because mine have no plastic anywhere on them (except the plastic parts on the wing, like the OPV, elbow, etc. which is no different than the Hydros). Nothing on the BP or harness that can really break. Having less concern over something getting broken by another diver with an uncontrolled tank is good peace of mind for me.

And, my BP/W has D-rings and retention loops everywhere I want them, in the exact places I want them.

The Hydros doesn't have pockets, and it also does not have any conveninent way to do something as simple as clip off a light and secure it so there's not a loose end dangling and swinging around. Or a way to clip off my (very large) camera rig lanyard. I clip it to a waist D-ring on my BP/W. Or a good spot to clip a reel and SMB - necessities for ocean diving.

I have a Hydros Pro and several BP/W rigs.

The Hydros is more comfortable, more stable, quicker to don/doff, and quicker and easier to adjust. BUT, all those things are only very small improvements over a properly setup BP/W.

On the other hand, the Hydros has a lot of plastic and monoprene. If somebody accidentally drops a tank on the waist belt buckle, or a shoulder strap quick release, that Hydros might be done diving for a while, while you're waiting for parts.

Despite being just slightly less comfy, stable, etc.., I would take a BP/W on vacation, because mine have no plastic anywhere on them (except the plastic parts on the wing, like the OPV, elbow, etc. which is no different than the Hydros). Nothing on the BP or harness that can really break. Having less concern over something getting broken by another diver with an uncontrolled tank is good peace of mind for me.

And, my BP/W has D-rings and retention loops everywhere I want them, in the exact places I want them.

They Hydros doesn't have pockets, and it also does not have any conveninent way to do something as simple as clip off a light and secure it so there's not a loose end dangling and swinging around. Or a way to clip off my (very large) camera rig lanyard. I clip it to a waist D-ring on my BP/W. Or a good spot to clip a reel and SMB - necessities for ocean diving.
Thanks for your insight! I think that the “small improvements” that you mentioned really depend on the person. I have tried on a BP/W by Halcyon and after 15 years of football my back was just not comfortable. I’ve had way too many injuries and 100s of hours of physical therapy. So comfort is my top priority and worth sacrificing for! I’m happy that you find joy in your BP/W, one of the most amazing things I find about this activity is there is so many great ways to enjoy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom