Question My debate - go with a BP/W or stick with a back-inflate BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jellycatsdad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’ll need to buy a BC soon, I’m renting currently as a new diver. Used a jacket style BC, didn’t like the feeling of constriction, I used a Hydros Pro by the big blue S for my pool dives(instructor was using his other BC), I really liked it. Rented an Atomic BC2, I was meh about it. I’m used to back-inflate BCs, but I’ve been reading BP/W is the way to go - I don’t see myself getting into tech diving anytime soon but the modularity and the fact I have something I can grow into as a diver is appealing. However, I really like the concept of the Hydros Pro, another LDS said try on the Tusa BB React, which is in a similar vein. I’m in paralysis by analysis mode. Should I rent out a BP/W for my next dive and give it a try? I’m working on my buoyancy and air usage - the former I don’t have too much of a problem with.

I’ve been lucky to rent from an LDS who stocks Scubapro and Atomic in their rental fleet - I‘ve ended up renting the Hydros Pro.

Yes, definitely rent a BP/W to try it out. There are many different opinions on this out there, but personally I love the simplicity, modularity and the ruggedness of a backplate. Even though they have gotten more expensive, it's just a metal plate. You can get one used, or heck even make it yourself. You can have different plates for different uses if you want (lighter for travel, heavier for cold water diving), they're practically unbreakable, and once you get used to the simple webbing harness it's comfortable and easy to use. It's also easy to modify or change individual parts like a harness, and storage pack, d-rings, bungees etc.

A wing is gonna cost a little bit, I swear by my halcyon donut (it's expensive - but I expect to have it for the rest of my diving career), but again probably cheaper than a fancy BCD, and simpler in design with less failure points. Definitely get one with a single bladder and no bungees, and get an appropriately sized wing. If in the future you want a different wing for doubles or anything like that, you only change the wing, everything else stays the same.

Finally backplates and wings are usually very sturdy and easy to maintain, so I wouldn't hesitate getting used equipment to save money. Try it out, and see if you like it.

I’ll need to buy a BC soon, I’m renting currently as a new diver. Used a jacket style BC, didn’t like the feeling of constriction, I used a Hydros Pro by the big blue S for my pool dives(instructor was using his other BC), I really liked it. Rented an Atomic BC2, I was meh about it. I’m used to back-inflate BCs, but I’ve been reading BP/W is the way to go - I don’t see myself getting into tech diving anytime soon but the modularity and the fact I have something I can grow into as a diver is appealing. However, I really like the concept of the Hydros Pro, another LDS said try on the Tusa BB React, which is in a similar vein. I’m in paralysis by analysis mode. Should I rent out a BP/W for my next dive and give it a try? I’m working on my buoyancy and air usage - the former I don’t have too much of a problem with.

I’ve been lucky to rent from an LDS who stocks Scubapro and Atomic in their rental fleet - I‘ve ended up renting the Hydros Pro.

I have had my Hydros Pro for about a year now with around 60-70 dives on it. I ditched my BP/W bc and started using my Hydros almost exclusively for recreational single tank dives. The Hydros is a simpler and comfortable BC to use, just put it on, secure the straps and go. It is modular and customizable and has all of the accessories you would want on a recreational BC. I don't see a reason to use a BP/W BC in place of the Hydros Pro for recreational single tank diving at all.

What didn't you like about the BC2 compared with the Hydros btw?

Those that do like the backplate + one piece harness + wing combination.

There are some benefits from a jacket BCD but a whole lot more from a BP+W such as simplicity, strength and reliability, and it encourages a flat trim.

You can buy the component parts individually. They’re particularly easy to buy the parts second hand. Mine are all second hand and I’ve used them for years.

My BPs (one Ali, one steel) and wings (an OMS for twins, a Halcyon for 15ltr steel single and an Oxycheck for S80 single) are all over 20 years old. Still good, just service the inflators. Never even changed a buckle. Slipping in and out of the one piece webbing just becomes a habit. Packs flat for travel. Fits over any exposure suit, with a few seconds shifting of the strap. High initial cost I guess, but bomb proof. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I use a BP/W for doubles; I prefer a regular BC for single tanks - there's not a right answer here, it's entirely a question of preference. Try both, see what you like. I have a lot of friends who love the HydrosPro - including at least one who was a diehard BP/W fan, and who now mostly dives his hydros.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom