Question Scuba hydro pro vs Apeks exotec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was also tossing up between the Exotec and the HydrosPro.
I ended up going with the Exotec because I got it at a better deal than I could have gotten the Hydros.
I also liked the design of the Exotec more.

Although I like the design of the ScubaPro weight release more, I have not had any issues with the SureLock system. I've found it to be pretty secure. Note the Exotec's weight handles are aluminium toggles, and not affected by the recall which is related to the rubber handled weight pockets. Reading into the details of the recall, the rubber handles were prone to breaking off due to age, leaving the user UNABLE to ditch weights - rather than anything to do with accidental weight loss.

Anyway, I'm more than happy diving with the Exotec. No regrets.

SP weight pockets and their buckles have been the most reliable weight pockets in decades. They don't come off by accident, they are easy to pull out and certainly don't drop out of the pocket into the ocean on their own. You can decide if you are dropping them or just going to hand them to the divemaster on the boat.
They work OK, I still don't like them.
This is the Hyros pro I use here, no weight pockets , 6lb in the trim pockets on the BC [8 lb the other day as I was wearing more rubber] and any more required [don't need much] is in this weight belt shown below is what I pass up to the boat , I can still climb the boat ladders with it on, but at 73 I want things easy now.
Even my one piece harness SS plate and wings [2 of them] have OMS Smartstream Kits on them so I don't do things hard any more.
Ok, again I digress from the subject.
IMG_20231004_083222.jpg
IMG_20231004_083611.jpg

Edit: As for pockets, I wear Tech shorts.

Also, the Exotec has no trim pockets on the back of the BC like the Hydros pro which I find great for weight placement for trim.
Here the Exotec is about the same price, not sure of your pricing .

Actually, the Exotec has a pair of trim pockets hidden in the shoulders.

They are so well hidden, I actually forgot about them.

Actually, the Exotec has a pair of trim pockets hidden in the shoulders.
OK, can't find any mention or photos of them on the Apeks site.
Can you take a photo please?

Just curious, that's all.

Not from Apeks' website, but still one of their product shots, you can see the zipper for the trim pocket under the shoulder dump valve.

1696417299794.png

I've owned a Hydros and an AquaLung Dimension which has some similar features to the Exotek including the "Surelock" weight pockets and wrapture harness

Hydros

Plusses
- weight pockets easy to insert and don't fall out
- rubber harness is very sticky - does not shift around
- comfortable in water
- packs small for travel

Minuses
- ninja pockets are a little small and hard to use in the water
- rubber harness is very sticky - harder to don and doff

Dimension

Plusses
- wrapture harness very comfortable on land. Distributes weight between shoulders and hips - good for long walks to shore entries
- pockets on dimension are big and low on hips. Easy to access underwater
- well thought out Octo and SPG holder

Minuses
- the SureLock weight pockets should be called "Sure Loss" they are hard to get in and very easy to get only half clicked in so they dislodge mid dive (or as soon as you giant stride in) You must check them 5 times before getting in
- Very bulky to pack for travel

The weight pocket issue is what finally drove me to replace my Dimension with the Hydros , but it did give me a good run of 400+ dives.
Hi there,

I am just looking at these two BCDs.
Would you go for the Hydros again? Or which one would you recommend?

All the best from Germany

Yes, I’d go for the Hydros again. Not perfect, but the integrated weights are just so much better than the “sure loss” ones.

If only some manufacturer would combine the best features of those two BCDs.

Yes, I’d go for the Hydros again. Not perfect, but the integrated weights are just so much better than the “sure loss” ones.

If only some manufacturer would combine the best features of those two BCDs.
Thanks a lot.
What are for you the biggest drawbacks of the Hydros?
And did you travel with the dimension and if yes how did it go? (Packing the BCD, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom