Replacing ScubaPro power inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Approaching to 200 dives now, I am now attempting to do my first real customisation to my gear. The thing is I am stuck bad time, because I have ScubaPro gear...

I now understand it wasn't a wise choice to buy a ScubaPro BCD (Seahawk). Now I am finding out that ScubaPro is not using standard fittings for many of their parts (how convenient) and I am struggling to find the standards they use for chasing down the right 3rd party parts.

1- The power inflator
I have to change the power inflator. I hate the ScubaPro power inflator(which they call the "BPI"). The button layout seems terribly problematic. I don't know how they managed to make such a design mistake by putting both inflation and deflation buttons side by side. I have to change this with a standard K-type inflator (Luckily, it is somehow a part very much in demand, and it looks like I can sell it easily).

2- Dump Valve
I also think the dump valve is not a well design as well. First of all, it's huge, and I really don't want to have that button where anyone touches from behind to deflate my BCD without me even realising it. Ok the pull dump cable doesn't seem to be a bad thing (but do people really use this?)... Really no need to have any of these bells and whistles. I would prefer the simplest possible streamlined shoulder valve. The problem is I found out that other brand shoulder valves are not compatible with ScubPro BCDs. So I had to give up replacing this. I am now stuck with ScubaPro valves for the life of this BCD.
Ok, fine. I can live with this.

3- Corrugated Hose
This one is purely personal preference, I think ScubaPros 40cm hose is too long. I don't like my power inflator dangling around like that. I want to try a ~30 cm corrugated hose and see if that's a better setup.

Now, if you are still not bored reading my opinions about the ScubaPro designs, here is my question:
What diameter corrugated hose I need to get?
I will keep the Dump Valve(have to) and change the Corrugated Hose and the Power Inflator. But I am not able to find the diameter the Dump Valve accepts for a Corrugated Hose.
If you know this, can you please tell me?

Can you help this fellow newbie? Please...
Cut the corrugate hose, but not so short as you need to orally inflate. Change the power inflator out to one of the configurations that you like. Sorry, but you're stuck with the dump valves. I've used Scubapro BC's all my professional life, and really like them. Horses for courses, and all that:)))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom