New tank question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kmosmen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After renting gear for years, I decided to buy a brand new tank from ScubaToys.com to have on hand.

When I bring it to my local dive shop, is there anything needed to dedicate it to Nitrox? I haven't owned a tank since I was certified back in 1990! I have rented. All this is new to me. Do I need the invoice to prove it's Nitrox ready?

Thanks!

Your LDS will most likely make you pay for viz to be done with them before they fill it, regardless of whether it is air or nitrox. It's quite common for the inspection sticker that comes with tanks purchased online to be not considered as valid or "enough".
As far as dedicating it to nitrox, one of the things it depends on is what their setup is for fills. You may need to get an O2 clean when the viz inspection is done. You may also be required to attach a sticker/label marking the tank as nitrox only or something, in addition to the viz inspection sticker. I know some training agencies have this requirement but have not personally seen an LDS requiring this for fills.

Call a couple of shops and ask what they need to see before they'll give you an EAN fill and pick the one that sounds the most reasonable to you.

Your LDS will most likely make you pay for viz to be done with them before they fill it, regardless of whether it is air or nitrox. It's quite common for the inspection sticker that comes with tanks purchased online to be not considered as valid or "enough".
As far as dedicating it to nitrox, one of the things it depends on is what their setup is for fills. You may need to get an O2 clean when the viz inspection is done. You may also be required to attach a sticker/label marking the tank as nitrox only or something, in addition to the viz inspection sticker. I know some training agencies have this requirement but have not personally seen an LDS requiring this for fills.

Call a couple of shops and ask what they need to see before they'll give you an EAN fill and pick the one that sounds the most reasonable to you.
They better do a viz when it first comes in. Cylinders occasionally have issues and need to be tumbled briefly. If not, and pure O2 is put in them and the cylinder sits, that cylinder may be condemned if tumbling doesn't get the issues out.

They better do a viz when it first comes in. Cylinders occasionally have issues and need to be tumbled briefly. If not, and pure O2 is put in them and the cylinder sits, that cylinder may be condemned if tumbling doesn't get the issues out.
What are you talking about? New cylinders should not be arriving with corrosion, foreign material, or any other damage - period. If it did, return it.

Unless its causing an explosion, O2 sitting in a tank does not cause damage.

Brand new tanks should come O2 clean/Nitrox ready. I just took a look at the scuba toys website to see, and yes, the tank comes with a VIP sticker from the start, and the tanks and valves are Oxygen cleaned.

In short, it should be ready for you to fill and dive. You should add a tank sticker for Nitrox, but it isn't a requirement. The VIP sticker should have a spot on it to be punched out to signify that the tank is ready for partial pressure Nitrox blending.

Last edited:
Brand new tanks should come O2 clean/Nitrox ready. I just took a look at the scuba toys website to see, and yes, the tank comes with a VIP sticker from the start, and the tanks and valves are Oxygen cleaned.

In short, it should be ready for you to fill and dive. You should add a tank sticker for Nitrox, but it isn't a requirement. The VIP sticker should have a spot on it to be punched out to signify that the tank is ready for partial pressure Nitrox blending.

In spite of that, it is not uncommon for the local shop to want to charge you for a vis and O2 cleaning. Is that out of an abundance of caution or are desire to make up for the lost tank sale?

Call first. You might be able to find a good shop.

I agree with awap, if a shop is insisting on a new sticker and O2 cleaning for a brand new tank, I think they are being unreasonable.

I think shops that do this may do it for a variety of reasons, either as awap has said above, they are trying to make up for the sale or are being overly cautious, or maybe they just don't know what they are doing or really understand tank cleaning and inspection. If a shop is insisting on O2 cleaning a brand new tank when all new dive tanks come O2 cleaned from the factory (Catalina, Luxfer, etc) I would probably argue its one of the 3 options above, all of which would probably deter me from using this shop.

I highly doubt you will run into trouble with it though, and if you do at one shop, go find a reputable one elsewhere.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? New cylinders should not be arriving with corrosion, foreign material, or any other damage - period. If it did, return it.
Agreed. That's why you VIP cylinders right away. Instead, the shop owner just put some O2.

Unless its causing an explosion, O2 sitting in a tank does not cause damage.
Not exactly. I'll look up some scientific articles later for you.

Before I bought a new tank I went to my LDS and had a chat about the total cost of a tank from them as opposed to getting one online and coming in for a fill. It worked out that I bought the 19 cuft pony online, however they are a rec shop and don't carry ponys and it would be a special single item order and they wouldn't have any room to bargain. With one of there in stock tanks we could have worked something out, if nothing else, giving some "free fills" as a discount. In any event that owner appreciated that I tried to do business with him rather than making the assumption that he could not help me.

Bob

Reactions: tep
In spite of that, it is not uncommon for the local shop to want to charge you for a vis and O2 cleaning. Is that out of an abundance of caution or are desire to make up for the lost tank sale?
Both but who can blame them

Not exactly. I'll look up some scientific articles later for you.
O2 supply bottles sometimes sit for years and years - full. O2 does not metalugically degrade steel or ali tanks. Water + O2 sure. Checking new cylinders for water is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom