Weird Faber tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that just a running joke or do people actually make wind chimes out of decommissioned tanks? Steel only I'm assuming? Adjust the frequency by length? I can only imagine the wrath of my wife when she is woken up with a DONG DONG DONG sound at 2am and I start laughing about the "new wind chimes" hanging from the old oak tree.
My door bell is a beautiful old steel 72.

Someone wanted pics of the" Y" valves..here they are..notice the faded price tag and still has the tested stickers.

Attachments

• 20240229_112231.jpg
    20240229_112231.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 20240229_112242.jpg
    20240229_112242.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 74
  • 20240229_112321.jpg
    20240229_112321.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20240229_112354.jpg
    20240229_112354.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 76
Someone wanted pics of the" Y" valves..here they are..notice the faded price tag and still has the tested stickers.
Sherwood valves. Tag says HP120s on it.

Signed,
Capt. Obvious

Reactions: OTF
It's an awful nice looking stamping job...
This sounds a little nuts but if you look closely, the spacing and the alignment on the lettering is all over the place (not like the typically evenly spaced and clean stamping typical of Fabers). Also, every pic of a Faber tank I can find shows "FABER MADE IN ITALY"

Far from conclusive evidence on its own (styles and stamps change) but given the lack of other markings is highly suspicious. At the same time it's really hard to imagine someone going to all this trouble to fake up some tanks ..... and then not to finish the job with believable DOT markings. Very weird all around.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 7.19.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 7.19.06 PM.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 50
This sounds a little nuts but if you look closely, the spacing and the alignment on the lettering is all over the place (not like the typically evenly spaced and clean stamping typical of Fabers). Also, every pic of a Faber tank I can find shows "FABER MADE IN ITALY"

Far from conclusive evidence on its own (styles and stamps change) but given the lack of other markings is highly suspicious. At the same time it's really hard to imagine someone going to all this trouble to fake up some tanks ..... and then not to finish the job with believable DOT markings. Very weird all around.
These are my thoughts exactly..i honestly believe they were meant to be display only tanks and were made realistic to promote correct weight,size and feel of what you would purchase.

These are my thoughts exactly..i honestly believe they were meant to be display only tanks and were made realistic to promote correct weight,size and feel of what you would purchase.
If that was the case, I'd almost guarantee they would be stamped "not for use"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom