First trip to Belize ... where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyandiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I plan on diving Belize for the first time. Hubby gets seasick so a live-aboard is out of the question. I've heard that Ambergris Caye no longer has good diving - reefs are in poor condition. I'm looking at Turneffe and some of the other atolls. Question: We're not interested in deep diving - we like 60-80 feet. I'm a photographer and we get longer bottom time on shallower dives. Are the dives around the atolls all deep (blue hole, etc) or are they a mix of good deep and shallow dives? What about Caulker Caye - any good? Any recommendations and thoughts on resorts and diving are appreciated. Thanks.

PS - We're more senior divers - 75 and 70.

My wife and I have stayed at Turneffe Island Lodge/Resort twice for a total of three weeks. As I recall, the only really deep dive was the Blue Hole, which of course is completely optional. All the other dives were typically maxed at 70 feet for the first dive of the day and 60 feet after that. There are two other resorts out there that I know of, Blackbird Caye Resort and Turneffe Flats. I'm sure the experience would be similar. Small groups, great diving and excellent service. Kind of like summer camp for adults. Even if you don't dive the BH you should still make the hour-long trip because the other diving on the day is some of the best Belize has to offer.

As far as the condition of the reef around AC, I haven't been there but there are a number of divers who post here who go to AC on a regular basis and may want to chime in. None of them have posted the reef there is in poor condition; otherwise, I don't think they would keep going back. I also haven't been to Caye Caulker but I would think the diving would be the same as or at least very similar to AC.

If you go further south, which is my preference, other places to think about would be Hamanasi in Hopkins and lots of choices in Placencia.

We went to Caye Caulker in July and we both thought that it was much better than AC. It's much more laid back; you can and do walk anywhere, plenty of places to eat, etc. We stayed at Seaside Cabanas (Seaside Cabanas, Hotel, Caye Caulker, Belize) which is probably one of the nicer places there. Did all our diving with Black Durgon Dives (Black Durgon Dives | Facebook). Simeon is the dive guide & owner, can't say enough good things about him & his wife. Diving is mostly done off of AC so it's pretty much the same but we did a day trip to Turneffe Atoll and wow, what great diving! We'll be back

the atolls are the best diving but there is a boat ride involved. AC 's reef is just fine. no need to go to caulker as you just came back to AC to dive. You dive the same reef from Placencia but it is a 20 mile boat ride, bad advice for someone that gets boat sick.

The topography of the reef on AC is different than in the south. It's "spur and groove", which is interesting. The real drop off wall doesn't start until about 180 feet or more? I used to do some dives down the wall and we'd go pretty deep just to get to the top of it.
The south has walls starting as shallow as 40 feet. South, meaning anywhere from Rendezvous Caye all the way to Ranguana, waaaaay south.
But yes, the atholls are where I would go for a dive, eat, sleep, dive, dive vacation. The dive sites are 5-10 minutes from the resorts. And now, the Elbow of Turneffe is a Conservation Zone. Supposed to be no fishing, other than the fly fishermen catch and release....."supposed" being the key word there. Enforcement is another issue.
Glovers Reef is nice too.https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...d=0ahUKEwjxpO2skKbPAhUJ3GMKHZbwBCQQoioIowEwCg
I really like this place. A bit rustic but the owners, the Cabrals, are some sea faring people. Great diving.
Hope this helps.

If you want better diving, definitely get out to one of the resorts on the more distant offshore atolls. Generally very quiet out there and nothing to do except dive, eat, sleep and lay in a hammock, with some kayaking, SUP, windsurfing or fishing thrown in....which at least for me and the type of vacation I like is a GOOD thing :) Main downside for seasick husband would be that most of these resorts require a boat ride back and forth that may last 1-2 hours (vs. a very short flight to Ambergris). Last January we spent a week out on Glover's Reef and dove with Off the Wall dive center - on a small 15 acre island. This was after spending a week in Belize the year before, with half the time on Ambergris and half the time touring ruins and doing jungle adventure in the Belmopan area. The diving out on Glover's was definitely better than Ambergris.....with a much, much smaller amount of diver traffic out there and little development vs. the dense development of Ambergris. Probably one of the most relaxed places I've been in the Caribbean. Boat rides to dive sites are 3-5 minutes. Diving depths we experienced were right in the range you described. Accommodations out there are more rustic - all cabanas are beach front (their website says all are within 20 feet of the water) and don't have AC and they don't have en suite bathrooms (composting toilets, which sound rough but are actually tastefully done)...but with the constant breeze out there, it's very comfortable and the waves breaking on the reek lull you to sleep. If you want a place to completely unplug, with good food, great diving, fantastic staff and about the most relaxed resort atmosphere you can find, this place is for you.

Belize Diving & Snorkeling Resort, Glovers Reef - Off The Wall

Btw, If your budget allows, you can fly to at least two of the three atoll resorts. TIR has a helicopter pad, and Blackbird has its own runway. That way you could avoid the 1 hour boat ride out there and back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom