A huge thumbs up to Tres Pelicanoes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gadelhak.ali

Registered
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I normally don't write dive shop reviews or really pay attention to them, but I feel like Tres Pelicanoes deserves some kudos. Disclaimer is that I've only dove with a couple outfits down there so I haven't tried them all.

I was in Coz earlier this month and picked out a dive shop beforehand (Dive Cozumel?). Last time we were in Coz we dove with the shop at the resort. Anyways, we give the taxi driver the address to Dive Cozumel and got dropped off. I think they closed cuz we walked in circles and couldn't find them. Does anyone know if they're still around?

It's about 6pm so we decide to go to the next scuba shop to book dives for the next morning. I won't say which shop we went with the first day...but it wasn't good. Among other things...the boat didn't have protection from the sun (first time I've seen this), I got the wrong nitrox % and conveniently wasn't told of this until we were getting on the boat. I asked for an O2 analyzer but they didn't have one on hand (I don't own my own). The people who set us up at the shop didn't dive with us...I know this might be wining and not necessary, but it's nice to actually go diving with shop people and not a DM we just met. The positive was the price was low and I got my nitrox free.

Right after we got back from the dive we walked a VERY short distance and entered Tres Pelicanoes. I gotta say...I liked that the shop had A/C lol

We were greeted by Pony who knew his stuff and really worked with us to fit us in. I was surprised when the people we dove with were almost all affiliated with the shop. It was like we were diving with friends from the get go. Shoutout to Pony/Jeannie for setting us up, Mike 1 and Mike 2 for keeping an eye on us and providing great feedback, and of course our DMs Jorge/Edgar and Captain Campeche. Also, it seemed that almost all the divers dove with TP before, so that was a good sign.

Btw, their website boasts that you can "dive your own profile" and "bottom times of 70min are not unheard of". This is very true. We regularly hit 70 min. Protocol was always followed and once we got our safety stop out the way, we were free to hang out around 15-20 feet. So you don't necessarily surface with the DM but can hover above them until they finish their dive. I'm not sure how this would work with beginning divers (I'm no pro myself) because it seemed everyone on the boat had experience. But I know they do teach OW so they must account for that.

It's just the little things that matter like the fresh water shower on the boat or the foam boat floor so you're not banging up your tank. Idk...we really enjoyed ourselves.

Next time I go to Coz I will probably try out another shop just for the sake of trying out another one (you never know), but I'll at least do a couple with Tres Pelicanoes.

Sorry for the longish post :)

Welcome to the 3P's family! Try another op on your next trip? Feel free but I say ya don't mess with perfection!

We can't wait to see Pony again come December and drop off our gear with him for another 2 weeks of diving. After CZM arrival & taxi mafia to the Casa, 1st stop is Mega to purchase some essentials (snacks and beverages) and 2nd stop (after a beverage or two) is to drop off all that gear with Pony and forget about it. 3rd stop is wherever our feet decide to take us for dinner.

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me! You can leave all your gear with them and they'll rinse, hang and bring it on the boat the next day! Cmon...who does that??

Thanks for reminding me! You can leave all your gear with them and they'll rinse, hang and bring it on the boat the next day! Cmon...who does that??

Umm... Very few and how about the suits/hoods/beanies/booties to boot. As Steve would say, "You're a Pelican now". As corny as it sounds, I love being a Pelican. WROO! WROO! (or whatever sound a Pelican makes)

Last edited:
Steve caught us diving with another op last January and it wasn't pretty. He threatened to give me bad feedback! I had a particular reason to dive one day with a different op, and while they were great they cost more and we didn't get anything better. I think that I should try some different dive shops but I won't unless there is some real reason.

Steve caught us diving with another op last January and it wasn't pretty. He threatened to give me bad feedback! I had a particular reason to dive one day with a different op, and while they were great they cost more and we didn't get anything better. I think that I should try some different dive shops but I won't unless there is some real reason.
I started out with another op in 2012 but thought I would try 3P to see if there was any difference, that was about 450 dives back and have not felt the need try another one

I'm not sure how this would work with beginning divers (I'm no pro myself) because it seemed everyone on the boat had experience. But I know they do teach OW so they must account for that.
TP is really good for beginners too. When I dove with them there was one woman who was brand new (only had her OW and AOW dives, with them that week) and the DM accompanied her to safety stops and watched her surface. Since I usually went up before the last of the group, he'd usually watch from 15-20 feet below us to make sure my buddy and I got our safety-sausage up okay and surfaced no problem before joining the rest of the group. When the owner was also on dives with us, if he wasn't hunting he would hang out with the newbies, especially towards the end of the dives.

They are good at seeing what each diver needs. One of their DMs literally offered to hold my hand when I had a panic attack the first dive of the trip (I was fine after a few minutes), but by day 3 let me do my own thing with my buddy while DM went through swim-throughs with the group (which I don't do).

My DH and I had been diving with another Cozumel Dive Op for 13 years, that is until this past June when we moved over to Tres Pelicanos. We were so happy with the Service from Pony, Jeannie, Jorge and his Captain. Our bottom times were usually 70-80 min. We enjoyed TP Very much and will return to them in the future.

shhhhh.... ya'll are telling our secret! Kidding aside.... I"m happy 3P is doing so well! Will be returning with them in June and time can't go fast enough!

shhhhh.... ya'll are telling our secret! Kidding aside.... I"m happy 3P is doing so well! Will be returning with them in June and time can't go fast enough!

I've said it before... The fact that 3P's in its young 4 years in business now has achieved such a reputation here and elsewhere says it all. It can take dive ops far longer (decades even) to build such a following but as 3P's has grown up in short order and now resides among the "cream of the crop" of coz dive ops in such a short time is a testiment to the quality of the operation and the efforts of all staff members who are always willing to go above and beyond to address any issue a dive customer may encounter. Quite frankly, we got very LUCKY finding 3P's 3 years ago based on the reviews we read as there weren't that many back then.

As far as keeping 3P's a secret... No way, me neither! To do so would be downright selfish! I too am so happy to see 3P's doing so well as all the staff reaps the benefits of being part of a young, growing and succesful operation. Great service at a great price and attention to detail in every aspect deserves to be rewarded and shared with others so they too can enjoy the same experiences we all have.

Rest assured, as 3P's keeps growing dive-by-dive they will add boats as needed and more great, top quality, hard working people will be employed on the island who want to contribute to and share in 3P's success.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom