El Cid La Cieba vs staying in San Miguel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have stayed at ElCid/La Ceiba a couple times. IIRC, the shore dive from their dock is an airplane wreck (deliberately sunk). If it is still there, it is probably pretty beat up by now, but if it is still there, it makes for a pretty cool, easy dive.

El Cid isn't bad, I hated their tiny unarconditioned elevators
Be sure you go see Miguel @ Ernestos (directly next door to Robertas)

I've never stayed on the tower side, only the 3 floor side, which has stairs. We have used our timeshare to get ECLC - maybe it's the timeshare side. We were on the bottom floor last time which allowed us to walk right out to the "beach" area.

+1 for Ernesto's - you can get a pretty good breakfast there also.

I have stayed at ElCid/La Ceiba a couple times. IIRC, the shore dive from their dock is an airplane wreck (deliberately sunk). If it is still there, it is probably pretty beat up by now, but if it is still there, it makes for a pretty cool, easy dive.

Hurricanes have spread that thing out, no longer there.

I've never stayed on the tower side, only the 3 floor side, which has stairs. We have used our timeshare to get ECLC - maybe it's the timeshare side. We were on the bottom floor last time which allowed us to walk right out to the "beach" area.

+1 for Ernesto's - you can get a pretty good breakfast there also.
Good to know! We are actually using my brother’s time share, a one bedroom. Glad to hear those seem to be reasonable.

El Cid in 2015...was decent...no real complaints. Food was decent, the Apple struedel REALLY good...lol. Easy cab ride to El Centro, walk to Mega...I only use Tres Pelicano's, so can't say about the dive op...

Will note this...El Cid had GREAT shampoo, soap. etc etc...

If it's free, go to El Cid. No brainer....

bubs

*Edit....Local eats not to be missed.... La Choza for breakfast or dinner...El Morro back in the hood for a dinner not to be missed!! .....Street tacos....Machete, up on the corner of the Plaza...GREAT food cheap...

Question about El Cid. I stayed once, in a 1 bedroom suite last year. I will be returning in Oct. Do the Garden View rooms face the street? Obviously, there is a price difference between ocean view versus garden view. An ocean view would be preferable, but could live with garden view as long as it doesn't face busy road. Mulling over my options:) Thanks in advance!

I've stayed at El Cid many times and all rooms 'face' the ocean. I believe the ground floor (& maybe floor 2 in tower) are considered Garden view because you can't see through stuff to really get an ocean view. The tower has great views but has poor elevators. They have been working on replacing the elevators (for years!). I've only stayed in the non-tower building once but did check out several 2nd floor rooms. Most have very good ocean view, but some are obstructed by the palm trees. No elevators in the non-tower building but only 3 stories. The tower has 11 or 12 floors. The higher up your room is the better the view (obviously).

BTW - They have added more stuff by the old sunken airplane. The airplane is pretty much gone but looks like they sank an old boat of some kind. Good place for night dives.

I have to disagree with comments on the food being good. The snacks and breakfast are (barely) okay. We won't eat dinner there, maybe lunch if we are too lazy to go anywhere. The old blue truck around the corner has fantastic tacos and now they have some other local competition that's pretty good also. Cocktails aren't bad after you get in good with the bartender.

I've stayed at El Cid many times and all rooms 'face' the ocean. I believe the ground floor (& maybe floor 2 in tower) are considered Garden view because you can't see through stuff to really get an ocean view. The tower has great views but has poor elevators. They have been working on replacing the elevators (for years!). I've only stayed in the non-tower building once but did check out several 2nd floor rooms. Most have very good ocean view, but some are obstructed by the palm trees. No elevators in the non-tower building but only 3 stories. The tower has 11 or 12 floors. The higher up your room is the better the view (obviously).
That is exactly the information I was seeking! Thank you. We stayed in the tower, on the 3rd floor. The view was decent, but those elevators are dreadful! With the exception of checking in and out, we just used the stairs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom