airfares so high!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK - just paid around 600 for a nonstop to Cancan...bleh, not great but not horrible...I consoled myself by upgrading...I guess I will have to start planning 2 or three weeks at a time in coz to make it worth the airfare :)

I guess I will have to start planning 2 or three weeks at a time in coz to make it worth the airfare
Book during the golden time window. Don't wait until 2 weeks in advance. Start looking over 2 months in advance, then decide when you find a good deal - probably 4 to 8 weeks before departure.

Book during the golden time window. Don't wait until 2 weeks in advance. Start looking over 2 months in advance, then decide when you find a good deal - probably 4 to 8 weeks before departure.

That depends on the city of departure. My best prices (Portland, Oregon), are within two weeks of them available for purchase, again about 8 months out, and finally at 4 months out. I will not see cheaper fares later.

This is based on watching fares for over 250 days per year for the last 10 years.

I just booked Vancouver, B.C. to Cozumel on United. It is a milk run - Vancouver to San Francisco to Houston to Cozumel but I don't mind. Cost was $476.42 USD for travel in March. I had been watching all the airlines on a daily basis, and United always had the best air fares. The only one close was American, but I have flown with them before and was not impressed.

Just under five months and I will be back at Scuba Club along with a bunch of dive buddies from Ottawa. :yeahbaby:

Divegoose

Booked Wash DC to Coz through MIA.
Round trip ticket was about $220.
Taxes and fees bring to slightly more than $300.
About 10 days before departure.
Sunday & Thursday flights.

Thanx for the thread. Got me to look at my rewards booking and to my dismay(sorta)...we have to stay an extra day and it's new-years eve. Sweet. We do like to have a day off to unpack before we go back to work and school though.

I have a roundtrip ticket on Delta from Philadelphia to Cozumel for 300 bucks Dec 19th to the 26th.

Competition helps. I'm still watching fares for a family group to Mount Rushmore, going up ever week.

I find that buying well in advance is a good idea. I got a flight and hotel for two from Apr2- Apr10 for $1100 total from Denver.
I can't believe it costs so much more from the east coast

I guess you are talking about the original poster who did wait too late. He could have done better a month or so earlier.

I find that buying well in advance is a good idea. I got a flight and hotel for two from Apr2- Apr10 for $1100 total from Denver.
Sometimes, but that's no guarantee. The airlines are going to charge as much as they can get, which is not evil - just working for their stockholders, not the passengers. From Denver, there is some competition, but it looks like American has the best fares & schedules. What happened to Frontier? I thought they were offering some bargains?

Your $1100 buy is ok, but not impressive. You could have had them for less than $800. The first choice on all of these pairs is too little time to clear I&C in my opinion, safer to take the longer layoever on return.
upload_2016-10-21_19-17-7.jpeg

You can get there much faster for a little over $800, altho the DFW connection going is a little tight & risky.
upload_2016-10-21_19-25-32.jpeg

Planning on longer layovers each direction would be safer, for $826 for the pair...
upload_2016-10-21_19-28-33.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom