airfares so high!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janieb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Granted - airfares from ATL are typically high, but does anyone know why they are so high now? (ATL to COZ $868) - hoping to travel Oct 8-15, but good grief...the fares have been bad and only getting worse...also bad from BHM, Greenville SC and anywhere within a day's drive....

Granted - airfares from ATL are typically high, but does anyone know why they are so high now? (ATL to COZ $868) - hoping to travel Oct 8-15, but good grief...the fares have been bad and only getting worse...also bad from BHM, Greenville SC and anywhere within a day's drive....

Try Cancun, its not that bad.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I feel your pain, especially coming from San Fran. But you might start checking, if possible, a bit earlier for flights as more lead time give you time to wait for that deal. I'm already checking for next May and seeing $434 through Mexico city. Not my preferred route but at least it's a possibility if nothing else pops up.

Good luck

I understand that the operating environments between ATL and PDX, (Portland, OR), are completely different, but if you were referencing PDX, I would tell you that you are shopping 8 to 10 months too late.

I will never understand airfare. I paid around $600 last January. I saw it the day I got back last week for $440. I jumped on it. Good luck. Just keep watching and setup email alerts. Ive seen them drop $200 for 24 hours but you gotta be on top of it.

You might have just cut it to close. I see airfare in January is around $550 out of Atlanta. With less than a month to go it usually stays where its at.

What do you consider a more typical ATL-CZM fare? I have always found those fares too pricey, so I fly ATL-CUN.

Just booked Delta for December from ORF via ATL TO CZM for $602/PP. Go figure they want more for one leg than 2 and in October hurricane season vs: December & holiday season!

Best I could have found for my RT from ORF to CZM was about $535 but that had me leaving at 6AM, arriving at 3PM, departing at 3:30 PM and returning at Midnight! There were some others a bit cheaper that wanted to route me through Chicago and tacked on hours... Don't think I need to risk a connection in Chicago in December! For the extra $ we leave at 8:15AM, arrive at 1:30PM, Depart at 2:30PM and return at 8:30 PM via ATL both ways. The price sucks but time and convenience costs $. The airlines know this and their supercomputers are crunching the numbers 24/7.

Of note, the airlines reservation and pricing computers not only track bookings but also track the # of searches for specific dates and the departure and arrival cities. Ever searched an airline for a flights on specific days, received a quote, didn't book and searched it again 15 minutes later? You can find the price jumps $50-$100 instantly and then drops back the next day! Yup... supercomputers at work.

These days when I seach, I use Kayak, I use the +/- 3-days flexible search option and I NEVER enter the exact days I intend to travel. I always enter a day or two before or after the dates I want to travel so my intended travel days don't appear as popular dates to the pricing computers. The more people who search specific dates and don't book is viewed as the more people who want to travel on those days by the pricing computer and it will price accordingly going forward. It's like showing your hand in Blackjack to the house before placing the last bet!

Two weeks from now? They have almost always charged more for short term planning, with some exceptions for empty planes that had to go anyway - but sales on those are rare. Why such late planning? Trips in the $700s start a week later, and I see $555 on December 1.

Many like to plan far in advance, like I want to book tickets to Yellowstone for next August as soon as I find a good deal, but they airline generally charge more on advance planning hoping we'll give in - lowering fares usually 3-8 weeks in advance.

You can get $689 from Greenville into & out of (GSP) for those dates, reasonable flights on United. Originating ATL, you can get Cancun much cheaper.

It would be difficult be catch an 8am flight out of Cancun, but doable and non-stop service...!

upload_2016-9-22_19-13-18.jpeg

Or this may be better...

upload_2016-9-22_19-13-43.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom