OWC eLearning vs Classroom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never done well in classroom environments.
When I took my OW class I got an old-fashioned thing called a "book". I also already had another book about diving, which I had read before the class started. Based on that I can't see how eLearning could have an advantage over a traditional class in terms of learning the material. OTOH, I see a significant advantage with the traditional classroom setting since you have the same ability to learn the material on your own together with the chance to have it explained by an instructor, plus the ability to ask specific questions and get answers tailored for you. I think there's also a great deal to be said for having several pool sessions for learning and practicing skills.

One thing is true for both approaches: Many (most?) OW students probably don't know what questions to ask, even if there is an instructor present to answer. My approach as an OW student was "I've done a lot of snorkeling-- tell me what I need to know to be a diver". There is (or maybe used to be) a lot of physics/physiology stuff in the Divemaster course. A lot of it is simply in excess of "don't hold your breath and follow your tables (or now computer)". There probably aren't a whole lot of questions to ask about the nuts & bolts basics. But there are many questions to be asked about different situations/equipment, whatever. Recently in Dive Training mag. was an article about "Flipping the Classroom"--ie. not so much lecture, more student interaction, etc. Yeah, OK. I'd still just want to know what I need to know & a lecture or e learning would be fine. The basics ain't rocket science.

One of the things that comes with e learning is the fact that the computer can't see when the lights go on in a student's eyes and know that they actually understand the principle being covered. Parroting answers back does not insure retention.
SEI does not offer e learning. SDI does. I can teach both.
If someone chooses the e learning it does not mean that classroom time is going to be reduced. Since e learning is general information it does not fully address all the local diving considerations. It does not fully cover all the exposure suit options to the degree they may need to be.
Sure, I'll accept an SDI e learning student. They are still though going to spend a minimum of 12 hours in the classroom going over the material that the course does not cover. It does save them some time over the SEI course. That's 16 hours in the classroom.
Brian Carney did a great presentation on the failures of e learning. It was never meant to fully replace the classroom. It should augment it and free the instructor up to address local conditions, gas management, decompression concerns, etc. rather than spending time on diving history, general aquatic life, and BASIC physics and physiology. Those things should be covered in real detail in a face to face setting IMO.

Parroting answers back does not insure retention.

It does not insure understanding either, without understanding retention doesn't stand a chance.

One of the things that comes with e learning is the fact that the computer can't see when the lights go on in a student's eyes and know that they actually understand the principle being covered.

Of course you have to be in training with an instructor who can recognize that the student understands. The constant push to turn new students into dive professionals instead of good divers, that I have witnessed, does not leave much room to develop a good instructor.

Bob
----------------------------
By definition, one half of the dive professionals are below average, I fear the percentage is higher.

It does not insure understanding either, without understanding retention doesn't stand a chance.

Of course you have to be in training with an instructor who can recognize that the student understands. The constant push to turn new students into dive professionals instead of good divers, that I have witnessed, does not leave much room to develop a good instructor.

Bob
----------------------------
By definition, one half of the dive professionals are below average, I fear the percentage is higher.
I can appreciate that thought - seen a few people after passing rescue with PADI almost immediately being asked about DM training (albeit they had about 100 dives in various conditions to their name).

If I ever decide to move along the professional route it will be years from now with a few hundred dives under my belt. I feel that I need to be 100% squared away as a diver before even thinking about taking responsibility for others (apart from my buddy of course).

I can appreciate that thought - seen a few people after passing rescue with PADI almost immediately being asked about DM training (albeit they had about 100 dives in various conditions to their name).

I watched the "become a dive professional" happening, in my AOW class, with less dives than that, in one case with the 9 dives of OW and AOW. Then a program of taking specialties and diving with the following classes would go on till the minimum dives for DMC was met. One could possibly become an instructor without leaving the training environment.

If I ever decide to move along the professional route it will be years from now with a few hundred dives under my belt. I feel that I need to be 100% squared away as a diver before even thinking about taking responsibility for others (apart from my buddy of course).

I never got enough dives. If one enjoys the appeal of teaching in a structured environment more power to them, I don't. There are a lot of new divers that could use a little mentoring, or just need someone more experienced to dive with, I do my part that way.

Several years ago when I was taking some classes, why is addressed in other threads, I got the be a dive professional pitch on numerous occasions. The last time was in a large group and I told him "No thanks, I like diving".

There are a lot of things you can do and enjoy while diving without being a DM or instructor.

Bob

My dive shop only has one training. It doesn't matter if you buy the book or pay for the eLearning, you then have to take the same class study with an instructor. The eLearning just add significant $$$ to your bill. I will never take eLearning after paying close to $400 for a Nitrox course. I could have saved the $200 for the eLearning.

I believe the e learning costs a bit more than classroom at our shop. Never could really understand that, since the instructor does way less than the old hours in the classroom. All the "weekend" OW courses are e learning, but I believe the week night 3 week course is still classroom. As a student I would prefer that over the weekend thing either way. If I were an instructor I'd think "gee I get paid the same and my pool weekend is considerably shorter with e learning".

Back
Top Bottom