32650 Battery for the Big Blue VTL 2500P Video Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trustfire batteries are known to generally be cheap crap batteries. Best to stay away from them and pretty much any of the battery brands that end in fire

Thanks. I ordered the two Archon batteries.

I checked the voltage of the Trustfire and it read 4.22 in my XTAR VP2 charger and was read as fully charged. I think this battery just cannot deliver the required current. Can I ask you what cheap flashlight you found that uses this battery?

Adam
Well maybe not cheap-cheap $29.81 Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is 1PC Latest TrustFire TR-A9-2 XML-2 led 900lumens Super Bright Light 5-Mode aluminum led flashlight ourdoor sport lighting

---------- Post added January 13th, 2015 at 12:45 PM ----------

Trustfire batteries are known to generally be cheap crap batteries. Best to stay away from them and pretty much any of the battery brands that end in fire
For the price, OK for me, there was a bad lot a while back but they do need frequent re-charging

FWIW: In general, Big Blue sells great light. But Big blue batteries, from what little I have seen (and what was advertised across various sites) generally have custom protection circuits built into the battery package. After testing and tearing one (and only one) apart. I suspect is has to do with in-rush or surge current and constant current stability. It's unique and it does limit usage of other more effective and efficient Li-ion batteries. This is akin to a car dealer tying your hands and say you have to use their band of OEM tires forever!! I only suppose BB does this for owner and warranty protection issues. That's seems fine; they are a great business and they make wonderful products, imho.

The general observation w/r/t Trustfire batteries (or any other battery) is unfounded, imho. If you drain or over-draw from any, repeat any, unprotected Li-ion (or variants of Li-ion batteries cobalt, manganese) you might / probably get the same results--especially if there is no effective light power management / protection circuit in your light. But protected Trustfire protected batteries are fine. Some have carefully wired / removed protection circuits at times to overcome the problem of battery incompatibility across various lights. But lights have a unique situation as compared to a RC airplane power needs (for example). In general, I usually don't care about light warranties since most products simply drop in new parts which I have done as well. Some folks are very finicky about warranties. For me anyway, sort of my light, my money I'll do what I want approach.

I've upgraded many old light aluminum housings with new electronics and LED combinations. For example, I build a bright UW Fluo light with components into an old, but extremely rugged Diver Rite backup light housings. Works great. Price..about $20. btw, those small Dive Rite lights lasted me 5 years and hundreds of UW hours. I don't know who in DR designed the inside of these lights, but they did a great job in viewing how the items were assembled, again, imho.

I've re-purposed some old housings into 1K lumen, 2 hour backups strobe light for about $14. Great guide light when your in echelon dive formation. My latest (when I have time project) is re-purposing an old, barbo-light housing into a 3K lumen, 110-degree video light at 2.5 hours for under $30.

The internal LED drivers (not the LED arrays) from what I have seen and reverse engineered are the note that unique. Anyway I hope the helps. My observations are derived from what was in front so I a careful not to speculate rover generalize. Most of this work occurred a long time ago so please take this with a grain of salt. Anyway, this is just one view from the bleachers. Cheerio.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom