Getting certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not making a recommendation but I went to college in Nacogdoches and Divers Depot has been there since the 80's. I was already certified but had several friends get certified there with PADI and they did fine.
Naconowhere might be an easier drive than Houston.

Just at face value, I'd go for the instruction from the friend. He is likely to take more time with you. I hope there is some pool training involved. The weekend course in Houston throws up far more red flags for me than the friend who wants to train you. I could not and would not certify a diver in a weekend. Though there are some places that offer this, it is the rare individual for whom the training is adequate. It may be enough to allow you to survive underwater, but at the end of an OW class, you should be able to plan, execute, and safely return from a dive with a buddy of equal skills and training. With no professional present to do this.
I also add that you both should be able to deal with a problem if the stuff hits the fan. Many of these weekend courses prepare you to be led around by the nose with no idea of just how much risk you are taking on.
You will hear a lot of misinformation about how the OW card "is a license to learn."
That's not true.
The card is supposed to indicate you now have knowledge and skills and now you can practice them wherever you choose.

Welcome to scubaboard where everyone has an opinion. Now your job is to sift through it. There is a lot of information, some of it will speak to you, some not so much. BTW I got Jim Lapentas book after i was certified. I wish I had done it before. My training would have been a little different as I would have known the questions to ask and what to do when there was free time. For example asking my instructor if i could practice fin pivots instead of just kneeling on the floor. Or for that matter asking if the classes were taught on knees...

A couple of instructors said they would be more of a hard a**, but that is another reason to go with non-Freind, because it can get to be harder to ask questions because of what their hard a** Freind might say or do.
I am guessing this will earn me some abuse. :jail:

Having clarified that the friend is an instructor.
I would learn with the friend. You are more likely to spend more time on all the practical skills, which are the important ones.

Having completed your opening qualification, make an effort to dive with others.

Hopefully he has a wide circle of diving friends, including other instructors, one of the important elements of learning to dive, ONCE you have completed your initial qualification, is to broaden your knowledge and experience. That includes , when the dive is within your ability, taking on the responsibility of leading the dive, that includes being prepared to make the decisions.

As is evident on this forum, we often have differing opinions. Often for very valid reasons. Be prepared to listen and understand. You may find an alternate opinion suits you better. When you start driving you are given basic rules, mainly because you don't know what you don't know. Obey them, with time, training, experience and knowledge you may be able to modify the rules.

Gareth

A couple of instructors said they would be more of a hard a**, but that is another reason to go with non-Freind, because it can get to be harder to ask questions because of what their hard a** Freind might say or do.
I am guessing this will earn me some abuse. :jail:
Ha! Actually, teaching a friend is easier as you know when they are not getting something. Friends I've certified keep coming back with questions. So, I respectfully, nicely, and not abusively disagree

The OP said a his friend was a Rescue Diver, I am not aware of any agency where Rescue Diver is an Instructor qualification. It may be that his friend is an instructor, if so nor problems, go for it.

That would be where the agency is the fire or police department. Rescue Diver can be a job as well as a qualification.

I'd jump on the offer, if you are lucky he may be looking ahead to train up a diver to work with him in the future, and you may show some promise. So it may not be as free as it seems.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom