Should I get insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm an insurance skeptic, so here is your chance to change my mind. I only dive locally within the US (furthest I might ever go is California) and am covered under medicaid (which is surprisingly good, at least in Washington). I know my nearest chamber is Virginia Mason in Seattle because I have taken patients there with possible DCS.

Given that, what would DAN cover that is not already covered?

I'm an insurance skeptic, so here is your chance to change my mind. I only dive locally within the US (furthest I might ever go is California) and am covered under medicaid (which is surprisingly good, at least in Washington). I know my nearest chamber is Virginia Mason in Seattle because I have taken patients there with possible DCS.

Make sure medicaid actually covers everything. Read the fine print.

Should I go ahead and get the membership and the diving accident insurance. I am just hesitant to pay for it now ...
If I were doing my very first OW training dives I wouldn't want the worry about a major financial hit scurrying around in the back of my mind adding to the anxiety while everyting else is goiing on. Those first dives are exciting enough!

I'm an insurance skeptic, so here is your chance to change my mind.
The DAN Diver accident insurance is as low as $42.00/year. Their most expensive policy is $117.75/year.

For less than $100/yr you are covered for search and rescue, transport, and the majority of treatment associated with a diving incident. Medicaid may cover parts of that, but not all. The S&R is almost guaranteed to not be covered and would save your estate from having to cover a major recovery operation.

My wife makes a couple dives a year with me and I have a policy for her. My kids are on the policy but just as non divers for now. It's cheap and covers a lot.

The DAN Diver accident insurance is as low as $42.00/year. Their most expensive policy is $117.75/year.
For less than $100/yr you are covered for search and rescue, transport, and the majority of treatment associated with a diving incident. Medicaid may cover parts of that, but not all. The S&R is almost guaranteed to not be covered and would save your estate from having to cover a major recovery operation.

My wife makes a couple dives a year with me and I have a policy for her. My kids are on the policy but just as non divers for now. It's cheap and covers a lot.

The DAN insurance in the US is a great deal/value indeed. The DAN insurance in Europe is an even better deal. You can't go wrong with either. I believe that a diver is insane to go diving without DAN insurance considering how little it costs.

I don't believe that Medicaid or Medicare will cover you for anything outside the USA -- so you're probably good as long as you stay local as you've stated.

If you buy the most expensive DAN Enhanced plan ($200/pp for me), you also get coverage for >Medical< trip cancelation for you and your travel partner. $10k per incident. Unless you are purchasing trip insurance for every dive excursion, domestic or international, this is worth paying for.

I have now used this three times over the years returning about $20,000 dollars. The most recent payout of $10K was just this week. I broke my leg about 2 months ago, which was 1 month before a planned dive trip to Indonesia. The trip cost was a bit over $5k per person. The DAN coverage is for a maximum of $10K for trip cancellation. I filled out a simple form, included a doctors note, and they paid within 6 weeks. Fortunately, I got 90% of my airfare costs refunded, but I can make a credit card travel insurance claim for the non-refundable portion. Two other times my wife had to cancel on a trip due to other injuries, and they paid no problems.

While I've never had a need to call on DAN during a dive trip, they have saved me bundles over the years.

If you buy the most expensive DAN Enhanced plan ($200/pp for me), you also get coverage for >Medical< trip cancelation for you and your travel partner. $10k per incident. Unless you are purchasing trip insurance for every dive excursion, domestic or international, this is worth paying for.

I have now used this three times over the years returning about $20,000 dollars. The most recent payout of $10K was just this week. I broke my leg about 2 months ago, which was 1 month before a planned dive trip to Indonesia. The trip cost was a bit over $5k per person. The DAN coverage is for a maximum of $10K for trip cancellation. I filled out a simple form, included a doctors note, and they paid within 6 weeks. Fortunately, I got 90% of my airfare costs refunded, but I can make a credit card travel insurance claim for the non-refundable portion. Two other times my wife had to cancel on a trip due to other injuries, and they paid no problems.

While I've never had a need to call on DAN during a dive trip, they have saved me bundles over the years.

That's a fantastically awesome deal/value.

I hope that your leg is getting better and you can return to diving very soon.

I encourage buying the insurance, but lets provide accurate info. The cheapest DAN insurance will cost you $82/year - $40 for the required DAN membership + $42 for the insurance.

Still a good value.

And re a question above - Medicaid will pay for a chamber ride? I always thought chamber rides weren't covered by most health insurance?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom