Should I get insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just curious but does anyone know the stats on how many ow students ever get bent?
i would suspect many get ear injuries. not sure how many of those might require medical attention. very few i would think.

Remember we not talking about pro liability insurance but dive accidents insurance, totally different things
i assume that was directed at me. and yes, i do understand that. good point.

i had been told our shop policy (that includes liability) also covered us for accidents during training etc.

i will shut up now. but i do find this topic quite interesting as it never came up in 10 years of teaching. carry on. :)

just curious but does anyone know the stats on how many ow students ever get bent?
i would suspect many get ear injuries. not sure how many of those might require medical attention. very few i would think.
I would think the rate of DCS in student divers with a maximum depth of 60 feet would be just about zero.

But that's not the real risk. The real risk is a lung overexpansion injury, which can also be treated in a chamber and which can happen in the shallow end of a pool.

i assume that was directed at me. and yes, i do understand that. good point.

i had been told our shop policy (that includes liability) also covered us for accidents during training etc.

i will shut up now. but i do find this topic quite interesting as it never came up in 10 years of teaching. carry on. :)

And one other

The shop does not need to affiliated with DAN. The sign-up for the students is done by the instructor, who must be a DAN member. Info is here and the instructor just goes here to enroll the students.
It is hard to imagine an instructor who is not a DAN member.
I'd be suspicious of that shop and its instructors if they don't know about this, and are unwilling to do it.
I said shop or instructor it is who has the membership. If the instructor is under the shops plan it is the shop, if the instructor has his on plan it's the instructor.
DAN.JPG

This is why DAN says to contact them first; they know which chambers you can go to.
If you're outside the US... Inside the US, they won't tell you where the nearest chamber is.

I said shop or instructor it is who has the membership. If the instructor is under the shops plan it is the shop, if the instructor has his on plan it's the instructor.
View attachment 809013
I do not believe DAN Business membership allows instructors of that shop to be "covered." The individual instructors need to have their own membership and dive-accident insurance.
We are NOT talking about liability coverage...the discussion is about accident coverage.
Do you have information to the contrary?

If you're outside the US... Inside the US, they won't tell you where the nearest chamber is.
I understood they would send you to a chamber of their choosing...not of your choosing.

I understood they would send you to a chamber of their choosing...not of your choosing.
I contacted them about their chamber database recently. I was trying to make a risk assessment about doing IWR because it looks like the nearest chamber for me is an 8 hour drive. Although they say they'll release the information about chamber locations to professionals, that apparently doesn't include dive professionals. :(

I contacted them about their chamber database recently. I was trying to make a risk assessment about doing IWR because it looks like the nearest chamber for me is an 8 hour drive. Although they say they'll release the information about chamber locations to professionals, that apparently doesn't include dive professionals. :(
OK, they've had the policy for some time about not providing chamber info for things like ERPs that people make. But I thought they did just fine if you were in distress and called them...they send you to the nearest working site. You just can't get that info in advance because it keeps changing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom