Liveabord holiday insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrasherg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay everyone, My wife and I just booked a week long live-aboard in Australia for October with "Spirit Of Freedom". It will be our first time in Australia and first time with this company. The company state clearly that they do not offer refunds even if the trip is cancelled due to bad weather or any other cause, so they suggest taking out holiday insurance to cover the cost if the trip does get cancelled.
I have never heard of an insurance like that, we live in Texas, USA and I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend an insurance that covers the cost of the live-aboard if it is cancelled. I know DAN offers diving insurance, but who offers holiday insurance? It's costing us $6000 (for both of us), so it's a big chunk of change to lose if the weather doesn't cooperate or if the boat has issues and can't operate.
Thanks for all suggestions, we have had a couple of live-aboard in Texas, but due to the relative low cost never had insurance for the trip being cancelled, so this is new to us.

Regards Gary

Dive Assure has an add on (you have to purchase it in addition to a deluxe or elite policy from them) for liveaboards specifically. I think it's called the Liveaboard Rider. It is only available for the USA so would fit you perfectly. This is also recommended by Spirit of Freedom on their website :)

Many thanks Andria, I didn’t see a reference to that on the spirit of freedom web site, but will definitely take a look.

cheers Gary

DAN also offers travel insurance. I use Travel Guard from AIG, sometimes less expensive than DAN. Please make sure you also have insurance for a dive accident, I use DAN.

Make sure you actually read and understand all of the small print in any travel insurance you might be considering. It is not uncommon for insurance policies to have a lengthy list of exclusions for which they will not pay if the situation is applicable. I am sure there are SB members that have been bit in the butt by failing to understand all of the "gotchas" in their policy. It can be painful to find out you paid good money for a policy that won't pay for things that could likely happen to your expensive liveaboard or other travel plans.

Back
Top Bottom