1/2" tank valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks fred, if you could forward that info about the threads to me, would be greatly appreciated!

CGA 870 is .750-16 UNF. I just measured one to make sure.
Neil

I just bought a brand new Sherwood yoke valve with 1/2 inch thread for one of my old tanks in November 2002.

I didn't have time to read ALL the posts, sorry.

Here's the answer (again?). Yes, Matilda, they used to make a 1/2" straight pipe thread O ring SCUBA valve, for about two years. Extremely rare and obsolete. However, any competent machinist can turn down a standard valve to 1/2" SPT or 3/4" NMT-O ring. Have someone verify the thread. Measure twice, sew once. Start with a new or good used valve which has the dip tube in or near the center of the boss. Some of these are offset and you don't want that. The neatest set up is the old OMS valve made in the nineties. This valve is extremely compact and will look good on your O2 tank. A machinist will probably charge about $50. However, I should mention that there is significant set up time so that first valve may cost more. You can save time/$ by disassembling the valve yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom