Trip Report 10 days of (mostly) shore diving on Curacao the last week of December 2023 and first week of January 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeekingClarity

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Part 1: Overall impressions: Lots of great dive sites, but there was also a lot of coral bleaching, and what was apparently some stony coral tissue loss disease (SCTLD). We were advised to disinfect our gear when we got home so we don’t wind up bringing SCTLD with us on our next dive trip. Even the sites that reportedly had the least amount of bleaching (per locals) still had a shocking amount. We read that between August and December of 2023, the water temps were the highest they have ever been, so hence the high levels of coral bleaching. The water temps are reportedly cooling off now (January 2024), so hopefully the corals will recover.

I had read that the shore diving sites were hard to find on Curacao versus Bonaire, so I was concerned about that. That turned out to not be a problem at all. All of the shore dive sites were very, very easy to find via Google Maps. All of the entries were quite easy, either sandy beach entries or coral rubble entries. The reef was always close—maybe 50 yards out—and visible via the dark blue color from the beach. We simply headed straight out, then went left or right depending upon the current. Navigating underwater was easy and we rarely ran into significant current. We generally found the best stuff at a depth of 40 to 65 feet. All the dive shops were incredibly helpful, as were other divers we encountered.

I had also read that theft/car break-ins were a problem, and that we should leave our car unlocked with the windows down while diving (something we did not do). However, I had also read that Curacao had, in recent years, stepped up security at beaches and we found that to be true everywhere we went. Even at free public beaches, including those with no amenities, we found a security guard keeping an eye on things. (And they all looked to be official security guards, not the self-appointed “security guards” working for tips that we have found in some other countries.) Instead of leaving the car unlocked with windows down, here was our solution: we purchased a realtor-style lockbox ahead of time and brought it with us on vacation. When we arrived at a remote diving location, we put the keys to the car inside the lockbox and locked it to the ring attached to the frame of the car below the trunk (the one that a tow truck would attach a cable onto when towing a car). This is an idea we were introduced to in Costa Rica, and we thought it was a great idea. However, the lockbox we used in Costa Rica was a little small for our key, and our key jammed the lockbox, making it impossible to open . . . locking our only car key inside. This, of course, happened when we were in the middle of nowhere in southern Costa Rica, but that is a different story. On this trip we brought with us a slightly bigger lockbox and it worked great. If you adopt this idea, make sure you get a big enough lockbox! If you need glasses to see, it can be hard to see well enough to open the lockbox if you leave your glasses locked in the car. We had our sharp-eyed daughter with us on this trip—our plan for the future if she is not with us is to stick a pair of flat “ThinOptics” glasses to the side of the lockbox.

We found that the dive sites at both tips of the island were the best, probably because they had the most current (and current brings in nutrients). The reefs overall were fairly brown; not a lot of color. We initially started off getting air tanks from the dive shop nearest to our rental house and driving them around with us. We quickly realized that almost every site had a small dive shop right there on the beach (at the site) and it was much easier to simply rent air tanks from them rather than drive them around with us. It also meant we could use the shop’s rinse tanks afterwards, which we appreciated. (And there was often a shower to rinse salt off us, too.) And—even better: all of them were willing to hold our stuff for us while we were diving (phone, shoes, empty dive bag, water bottles, etc.) which was fantastic (we didn’t have to worry about the car getting broken into). Prices (as of January of 2024) were generally $10 USD per tank, with weights being an extra $3-4. Some of the dive shops were easier to access than others (I’ll note the difficulty of each below). We also found that none of the dive shops had compressors to fill their own tanks. They all got them tucked in from somewhere else on the island—we were told this was because of a “power issue.” None of the fills we got—from any of the shops—were consistent. Sometimes they were 2500, sometimes they were 2700, sometimes they were 3200.

Quick overview of our dive sites—starting with sites above Willemstad:

The “house reef” for Coral Estates resort was fine, nothing special. The dive shop (Coral Divers) was difficult to access. You park in the big parking lot, wander around until you find the dive shop, then go back to your car and try to find the unmarked road to drive your car down to get the air tanks. The dive shop was really busy, and the staff were constantly being interrupted by new people wandering in, so it always took a long time to get air from them. We stopped going there after we used up our “10 air tank” package.

Porto Mari: We liked the reef here enough to warrant a two tank dive. Porto Mari Sports dive shop is right there. You can back your car down the little road to the shop (though it is very busy with pedestrians as it is the way everyone walks to the beach from the parking lot), unload your stuff, then go park in the lot. It cost a few dollars to enter the beach, and there was security in the lot. There were also a couple of pigs wandering around the wooded area near the parking lot, and one adorable piglet.

Cas Abou: Also a good reef for a two tank dive. We were told there are frogfish there, but we did not see any. We did see a seahorse. The dive shop B Diving is right on the beach (fairly easy to find) and was super accommodating even though it was New Year’s Eve and they were closing early. If you are in the parking lot facing the beach, don’t go in the left-hand entrance that most people are using—use one of the right-hand entrances and you will wind up right next to the dive shop.

Kokomo Beach (also called Vaersenbaai): Good enough reef for a two tank dive. Trunk Divers was super easy to find (right there as you walk in) and the owner was incredibly knowledgeable. He has decades of diving experience, and we appreciated his tips on where to go and what to look for. The restaurant there has a rock they call the iguana feeding station, and there were iguanas of all sizes running around, which was delightful.

San Juan: There are four beaches there, with a dive site at each. You drive up to the historic plantation house, which is crumbling and overgrown, and to the right, there’s a guy sitting in a chair in the shade who will take a small entrance fee. You then bump down the dirt road looking for small signs to each of the beaches (if you don’t make any turns, you will wind up at the last beach, which is Playa Largu). We dove Playa Manzalina and Playa Largu. Both were very good, but Largu was the clear winner. No dive shop, so you have to bring tanks with you. We would have done all four sites here but we did not have enough air with us.

Playa Lagun: We also enjoyed this reef a lot—a slightly longer swim out, but not bad (maybe 6 or 7 minutes instead of 4 or 5). Bahia Diving is right there and was the easiest of all the dive shops to access. You can pull up and park right in front of their dive shop. Very low-key operation and not too busy or crowded. We got an excellent briefing from the dive shop on where to go and what to look for (especially where the seahorses and octopus tend to hang out).

Kalki Beach (also called Alice in Wonderland): One of the top three sites we dove. Parking near the stairs to the beach was in short supply the day we were there, so we dropped stuff off, left someone to guard it, then went and parked in the lot up the hill. There’s a long flight of stairs to get down to the beach. We did not realize we could get air from the Go West dive shop (at the bottom of the stairs) as this was our first day on the island, so we had to haul heavy tanks up and down the stairs. Note there is a giant manchineel tree shading the stairs, and as the leaves contain a strong skin irritant, don’t stand under it if it is raining! I did not see an easy way to drive right to the shop to get air “to go” from Go West, but it looked easy enough to walk down the stairs and rent tanks from them to dive this site. This is definitely a site worth doing—great underwater topography and a richly diverse reef. If we had more time, we would definitely have gone back here.

Mushroom Forest: We did this as a boat dive, and it was also one of our top three sites. Definitely worth seeing, though there was a lot of coral bleaching here, too. We started off by ducking into the blue room cave, which was fun to see. (You can surface in the cave—it is very roomy and spacious with tons of head room). The mushroom forest is so named because of the large corals shaped like mushrooms. It was beautiful and if we had the option to go again, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Watamula: We were originally also going to do a boat dive to Watamula, but people who had been there the week before said it was so bleached out it was not worth seeing. Too bad, because we read it is normally a top site.

**Side note on the blue room cave: People sometimes use the boat services of “Captain Goodlife” at Playa Santa Cruz to get to the blue room. We read multiple reviews about him spewing racist garbage (using the n-word to describe locals) so I would advise against using him (go to TripAdvisor and read the one and two star reviews on both the Blue Room page and the Playa Santa Cruz page for details).**

Trip report continued in next post

Curacao trip report part 2

Sites below Willemstad:

Jan Thiel (technically called Sweet Bottom but the shop told us no one calls it that). We got air here from Scuba Do Diving, which was an enormous pain to find. You park in the large, crowded parking lot, then wander around until you find the dive shop, then you need to leave one person at the head of the unmarked road next to the shop so the driver can find them (the parking lot winds around all over the place). Accessing the water from the shop was a bit of a pain, too. Multiple resorts all come together around this beach, and it was very, very crowded and a long walk, winding around chairs and drink stations wearing all our gear. The beach and surrounding area with beach chairs and restaurants had a very different vibe—lots of women wearing a lot of a lot of make-up and jewelry, and I saw one woman attempting to walk along the uneven walkway in high heels. The tiny bay/swimming area was overcrowded, with teenagers tearing around on jet skis, swerving to avoid swimmers and snorkelers. Very different than the laidback and casual vibe we found everywhere else. The reef was decent but not amazing.

Tugboat Beach: No dive shop, so you need to bring air. The closest shop seemed to be CURious2Dive—we passed it on the way there. It looked like you could park right in front. (We had air with us so we didn’t stop.) The reef wasn’t spectacular but it was decent, and we enjoyed seeing the sunken tugboat. (The wreck was better than expected—some of the locals told us it wasn’t worth it, but we felt it was definitely worth it.) The small beach is very peaceful and had a super laid-back vibe, which clashed a bit with the giant oil rig docked right there that towered over the beach. It was kind of fascinating to watch, however—I’ve never seen a working oil rig up that close.

Director’s Bay: This is one of the top three reefs we saw. No services other than a porta potty, but there was a security guard in the parking lot. Short set of stairs to get down. Once you get into the water, you go left, and with each corner you go around, it gets better and better. Tons of beautiful fish everywhere. There’s also no dive shop here. This site is maybe five minutes past Tugboat (off the same road), so see above for where to get air. All the locals we talked to said this was in their top three for dive sites on the island, and we agreed—it was one of the best. We would have done more dives there if we had more time/air.

Few notes on topside:

Water (and ice) are safe everywhere. Water comes from a desalination plant.

Gas stations only accept cash.

Driving is fairly easy. As Americans, we appreciated that driving is on the right-hand side of the road. Some congestion around Willemstad, but manageable. Roads were generally in good shape (some of the roads out to the beaches were dirt and/or badly potholed, but our compact two-wheel drive did fine).

We found restaurants to be incredibly expensive and most of the food was merely okay. It also routinely took 45 minutes to an hour to get food (after ordering). We wound up eating the majority of our meals at home for these reasons.

Topside attractions we enjoyed:

A local told us that Rescue Paws Curacao invites the public to come and play with the puppies to help socialize them between the hours of 10 am and noon every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No appointment needed; just stop in. We had a great time (your clothes will smell like puppy afterwards, so don’t dress fancy). https://rescuepawscuracao.com/visit-us/

Seeing the flamingos in the salt pond near the Williwood sign in Willibrordus (the sign is modeled after the famous Hollywood sign). https://discovercuracao.today/Williwood/williwood?language=en

We enjoyed the Hato Caves. Guided tours only (they take 30-40 minutes). The long-nosed fruit bats were absolutely adorable. https://curacaohatocaves.com/

We thought the Kura Hulanda Museum was exceptional. It traces the history of slavery. Somber content and very, very well done—definitely worth a visit. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...s-Kura_Hulanda_Museum-Willemstad_Curacao.html

We had fun seeing the ostriches (especially the babies) at the Curacao Ostrich Farm. They drive you around in an old school bus and stop and teach you about the ostriches as you view them. Each person gets to feed them from a bowl (and by hand if you dare), which was quite entertaining. Takes 30 mins or so. https://curacaoostrichfarm.com/?lang=en

We also enjoyed Fort Beekenburg near Tugboat Beach (free to walk oround and explore at any time), plus the abandoned “quarantine house” just up the hill. The crumbling house, called a quarantainegebouw, is (surprisingly) not fenced off—be advised that the floor is falling in, so use good judgement about where you go. https://www.castles.nl/fort-beekenburg

Not an attraction, but we were introduced to the Dutch seasoning sauce Maggi (pronounced “mah-hee,” we were told). Picture of it here: https://europeangrocerystore.com.au/product/maggi-seasoning-sauce-800ml-dutch/ It is similar to soy sauce, but even more rich in flavor and full of umami. We liked it so much that we bought a bottle of it to take home, then went back to the supermarket and bought small bottles to bring home for everyone as gifts. We found it at Centrum (which was the biggest grocery store we found), but locals told us most of the supermarkets carry it.

Wow! Fantastic report! Thanks for the details regarding on site dive shops. Also, good to hear about the security at the beaches. This kind of detail might even persuade @drrich2 to go back.

Were you staying at Coral Estates, and, if so, was it a rental or at the resort (if the resort still exists)?

Thinking about heading back in the next year or so. This got me in the planning mode.

Erik

Excellent report! We are heading to Curacao next month. I am hoping the reefs will be in better shape. While in Cozumel in Oct., it looked like snow covered some of the reefs. The bleaching was awful. I appreciate the detail of your report. I have not dived Kokomo Beach, and didn't realize they had a dive shop; I look forward to diving there. I also enjoyed entering the Hato caves and seeing all the bats. Good for you visiting the dog rescue and giving these poor pooches some much needed love! I love getting my dog fix while on vacation, but the number of strays in Curacao always breaks my heart. I hope that changes. Any pics?

Wow! Fantastic report! Thanks for the details regarding on site dive shops. Also, good to hear about the security at the beaches. This kind of detail might even persuade @drrich2 to go back.

Were you staying at Coral Estates, and, if so, was it a rental or at the resort (if the resort still exists)?

Thinking about heading back in the next year or so. This got me in the planning mode.

Erik

Erik
Glad the trip report was helpful! We stayed at an AirBnB that was in the Coral Estates compound, but was away from the restaurants and main resort area (and the associated noise). Here is a link to the house (you book directly with the owner): Home in Coral Estate Luxury Resort · ★New · 3 bedrooms · 4 beds · 2.5 baths

Excellent report! We are heading to Curacao next month. I am hoping the reefs will be in better shape. While in Cozumel in Oct., it looked like snow covered some of the reefs. The bleaching was awful. I appreciate the detail of your report. I have not dived Kokomo Beach, and didn't realize they had a dive shop; I look forward to diving there. I also enjoyed entering the Hato caves and seeing all the bats. Good for you visiting the dog rescue and giving these poor pooches some much needed love! I love getting my dog fix while on vacation, but the number of strays in Curacao always breaks my heart. I hope that changes. Any pics?
I have pix of us with the puppies, but you are probably looking for underwater pix, lol! Hopeful my husband will download them soon, and if so, I willl post some. Thanks for sharing about Cozumel—we were wondering about a trip there, so we will wait and see how the reef recovery goes there. Trunk Divers moved to Kokomo Beach in 2011. Here is their write-up (their website is in Dutch, so I couldn’t read it! This is in English): Trunk Divers - Curacao Todo

Hi @SeekingClarity

Playa Kalki was also one of our favorites when we visited, we dived it several times. Sad to hear about Watamula, it was the best dive of our visit, did it twice, once as a drift from south in brisk current.

I am hoping that both Curacao and Bonaire have a good recovery from coral bleaching. What was the water temperature during your visit? Bonaire was down to 81-3 during the same time.

Hi @SeekingClarity

Playa Kalki was also one of our favorites when we visited, we dived it several times. Sad to hear about Watamula, it was the best dive of our visit, did it twice, once as a drift from south in brisk current.

I am hoping that both Curacao and Bonaire have a good recovery from coral bleaching. What was the water temperature during your visit? Bonaire was down to 81-3 during the same time.

We were sorry to not see Watamula since it had been at the top of our list, but everyone said it was hit hard by the bleaching. The water temp was 82 degrees F when we were there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom