1000 islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TiB

Reaction score
let me just say, after just a little bit of research... :11:

I have a lot of family around that area (heck, I just learned that a relative named Dan owns one of the islands) and yet I never knew what a great dive spot it sounded like. For any divers native to the area, is the water really that clear? 100' visibility?

I'd like to learn more. I'd really appreciate it if I could get some info on the good spots and reliable dive boats they have up there for a beginner like me :10: just reply or even send me an AIM at TiB Says

Thanks again! Oh, and just to let you know I'll be heading up there for a lot of the August month.

Jonny_Rocket:
I've heard great vis and awesome wrecks, but RIPPING current and a lot of it is deep I think.

I heard that the islands have good wind protection though. Would that help with the currents? If not are there any places in the islands that aren't so rough?

Current is an issue, and he considers most of the diving there advanced. You have to be careful not to ascend in the shipping lanes... other than props 15 feet deep, it is apparently a $10K fine.

Jonny_Rocket:
Current is an issue, and he considers most of the diving there advanced. You have to be careful not to ascend in the shipping lanes... other than props 15 feet deep, it is apparently a $10K fine.

interesting. Tell him I said thanks. THe island that Dan owns is in the resort area so I think I'll just hang around his island. Or find a charter

I've went up to the 1000 Island area last summer.

The visability up there is really 100ft.

In the late summer the Temps are inthe mid to high 70's

The current is really ripping... it is a RIVER. So be prepared for it.

We used Wayne Green (info@islanddiver.ca). He has a couple of boats and runs out of Caigers country Inn on the Canadian side. He runs an awsome charter and he knows that river like the back of his hand.

I have dove a few times in the St. Lawrence river around Brockville and Rockport for each of the last three years. The current can be ripping, but it isn't always. There are certain wrecks that, depending upon their position in the river usually have more or less than average current. For instance, I wouldn't take a relatively new diver to the Daryaw, which is 90' or so and usually has pretty stiff current. The Keystorm is a nice wreck to dive since its bow is in about 25' of water and the stern is 115' or so (can't exactly remember). You can make a nice multi-level dive out of it.

The river temperature chart for the St. Lawrence that I have posted on the wall of my office says that you can expect temps right now in the low to mid 50s. The weather buoy at Alex Bay is currently reporting 48 degree temps.

I usually dive with Abucs Scuba (http://www.divebrockville.com/main.html) in Brockville because they always have charters going and have never failed to have someone for me to buddy up with on the boat.

The diving in the river won't provide the same temperatures and abundance of life as tropical locations, but the wrecks are mostly true wrecks, not placed for divers, and some are quite old. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom