10W HID Flashlight No Longer Available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

Yes, we continue to support the HID Flashlight. The bulb is the same bulb as our MR11-Sunspot with a 4.5 degree beam.

If you can make it, come try both lights in the water at our Tech Tour at Hudson Grotto this upcoming weekend. You could also demo an O2ptima or listen to Lamar's workshop on the Nomad expedition rig, if you would find that interesting.

Cheers,
Kathleen

Kathleen,

Thanks again for your quick answers. I attended your Tech Tour in Birmingham (Pelham - Blue Water Park) a few months back.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

Zeeman:
Haven't seen the Audi R8 yet, have you?

It is going the way of LED... we are at the crossover point.HID may still have a slight edge - but it is a small one, and only in one area. (penetration) though some would argue that this is the most deisred area to have an advantage. As stated, though, the latest generation of LEDs pretty much are going to level the play field..

BTW - I'm currently using an 12w HID (darkbuster Junior) and also a Green Force LED backup. I have dived with the greenforce backup alone and find it's 3w LED to be quite good. I actually prefer the light the LED's throw out - but I do think this is personal preference.

Actually it is that "slight edge" that makes all the useability difference. I've tried a variety of LED brands. As I"ve said all have promised much but delivered little when it comes to illuminating an object.

For most people I know the flashlight is used to illuminate an object, the greater the distance the better. It really doesn't do the user much good to have a long lasting, very bright light that doesn't adequately illuminate the subject in the working environment.

I agree many LEDs put out a more pleasing color temperature as compared to HID. But, that is, in comparison, a minor thing for general use.

I remember the time we were all issued LED flashlights. We took them out to test. They were wonderful in the dark, clear night air. Except there ability to illuminate a target fell off very quickly. Then, when we introduced the slightest obscuration, the backscatter made them all but unusable as illumination devices.

Since then I've not seen any LED flashlight that changes the basic rule. As headlights a waste. As taillights really good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom