12 days in late July in Cozumel with 2 kids, 14 & 16, - which resort to select?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the time and efforts that you all have put in to help guide me to the best solution. I guess we will end up with Presidente or Occidental if no other good idea presents itself. Renting a car sounds handy as well.
What are the pros & cons of buying the dive packages the Hotels offer, compared to buying from a different dive operator?
Finding direct flights into Cozumel AirPort is challenging. We need to connect from Europe anyway. Which hubs inn the US is regularly servicing Cozumel AirPort in July?
Taking the flight service from Cancun looks fun, but i guess we have to pay an arm and a leg to get dive equipment a cross as well?

AI would probably be preferred with 2 teenagers who if they are anything like my 14 yr old boy - will eat you out of house and home in a matter of seconds. :) Plus if all 4 of you are diving, OG is right next to all the good dive sites.

As mentioned in a few previous posts, the Occidental and Allegro would be my recommendations. Lots of pools for the kids, a nice beach, tons of food all day long, and unlimited alcoholic beverages for the adults. AI packages at both can include diving. I have stayed at both resorts, most recent the Occidental and I like both dive ops at both resorts. Yes, the cab is $20 to town but I make one trip to town in a 7-day stay, so no big deal. Once you have seen one jewelry shop you have seen them all (aimed at cruise ships). If I were travelling without kids, Blue Angel would be my recommendation. You might consider Casa del Mar if you want to be in town with the kids. They also do all inclusive. I usually get good rates at the Occidental and Allegro.

Thanks for the time and efforts that you all have put in to help guide me to the best solution. I guess we will end up with Presidente or Occidental if no other good idea presents itself. Renting a car sounds handy as well.
What are the pros & cons of buying the dive packages the Hotels offer, compared to buying from a different dive operator?
Finding direct flights into Cozumel AirPort is challenging. We need to connect from Europe anyway. Which hubs inn the US is regularly servicing Cozumel AirPort in July?
Taking the flight service from Cancun looks fun, but i guess we have to pay an arm and a leg to get dive equipment a cross as well?
Renting a car can be convenient enough. Be sure to take ALL of the insurance tho. Isis seems to be the most popular on this forum and it includes insurance.

Converting Norwegian Krones to Mexican Pesos can be expensive at the currency exchanges, but withdrawing Pesos at a bank owned ATM should be safe and economical. There is one at the airport, others around town if you need more, but your Visa or Master Charge will work at most places. Do not use the ATMs not owned by banks!

Diving with a hotel operator can be simplest, but do investigate their policies for missed dives on the package. If weather or illness keeps anyone from going, and I suppose you'd want to keep everyone together at all times, some will not give refunds.

Medical insurance and Diving insurance are considerations, but the solutions for Europeans can be quite different than for Americans. That's something to discuss with other Europeans, and we have forums here for such.

Many Europeans prefer avoiding US airports because of our poor facilities for international connections, as you often have to clear US Immigration & Customs arriving and TSA departing - so many fly to Cancun if that will avoid US airports. From there, it's really quite easy to take a bus or cab for a one hour ride to Playa del Carmen, then a short ferry ride to Cozumel. Only buy one way tickets for ferries as round-trip tickets do not save money and can cause delays waiting for the designated ferry leaving. From Oslo however, the flights have particular challenges...

This may well vary with dates, but flying into Cozumel can require 30 hours going, 19 hours returning with a 14 hour overnight stop in Atlanta. You'd want to book a hotel there, in advance. Your costs look to be over 11,000 NOK/$1,400 USD round-trip each.

Flying into Cancun is faster, even tho not cheaper. With two plane changes each way, you can make it in 17 hours each way if those connections are not too tight, and Miami may well be better suited for international connections - altho the return may be thru Charlotte North Carolina. Fares about the same as to Cozumel, but avoids the overnight stop.

Flying to Cancun with only one plane change each way would be preferable, but expensive: Only a couple of hours less travel time, but the fares jump to over 17,000 NOK/$2,100 USD! I wouldn't do it.

Now you could fly into Cancun, but depart out of Cozumel - and that looks best to me. One itinerary the system suggested only gives a little more than one hour in DFW on the return so I would not risk that! Another gives a one hour connection in Amsterdam going - big airport so I don't know if that's enough or not - but it's the same airline so maybe ok, then 5 hours in Mexico City - good to avoid the US changes really; on return, I see 3-1/2 hours in Atlanta, then 2 hours in Paris. If you could do that plan, but maybe leave on an earlier flight to give more time in Amsterdam - I'd go for that.

Now since we're talking about Cancun going, you might want to stop there for one or two nights and do Whale Shark snorkeling before Cozumel! Really a wonderful experience if this is not too complex of a plan?

17 hours plane travel time plus 2 hours taxi & ferry with kids sounds horrible, but I had about as bad last summer just flying across a few states, as it was unexpected for planned for. After driving a few hours to catch a cheaper plane from Abilene to Las Vegas, then we got stuck with weather & plane problems in Texas for hours, then got lost in Vegas at night until we found our way into the desert for our remote hotel - where they'd promised to leave our keys hidden for us after the office closed, and we hoped the rooms would be okay for a shower and a short night of sleep. Longer trip than yours, but we made it ok - and into Death Valley in the morning. Met a lot of Europeans there. :wink:

Last edited:
The beach requirement will mean staying at one of the southern resorts, which are great. After several days you may wish to branch out and try some other places/ things. The food in town can be really good and usually more varied than at resorts. I took my teenagers to Cozumel a couple years ago for 11 days and got in side trips to Coba and Chitzen Itza which were great (bring water). Coba is in the forest and I really loved the whole area. Chitzen Itza is more developed but amazing too. We got to snorkel cenotes near Tulum too, which was a cool thing to do. We did the side trips while based from Cozumel but that adds to travel a bit. You might split trip with a couple days stay on mainland near Tulum or Riviera Maya or even in town San Miguel on Cozumel. Its good to take a day off from diving too. There may be whale shark/manta side trips you can add too. We went in August and it was hot and humid so keep the bottled water supply handy.

We had a great time and so will you.

Life is so much easier with dogs. When I plan a vacation, I just book reservations for the dogs at a local Kennel, then stay where I want to stay, and do what I want to do. What do children need a vacation FROM? Childhood? The carefree life of an 8 hour school day in which less than 6 hours is spent in classes, and some of that is spent sleeping at their desks? Too bad that there aren't kennels that take in Children. I think I just came up with a great idea for a business.

Life is so much easier with dogs. When I plan a vacation, I just book reservations for the dogs at a local Kennel, then stay where I want to stay, and do what I want to do. What do children need a vacation FROM? Childhood? The carefree life of an 8 hour school day in which less than 6 hours is spent in classes, and some of that is spent sleeping at their desks? Too bad that there aren't kennels that take in Children. I think I just came up with a great idea for a business.

Then again, the time my wife and I spent with our daughter on the trips we took to Cozumel when she was growing up (starting when she was 4 years old) generated many precious memories for me. We got her certified at 13 and she went diving with us every May until she was in her mid 20's. She is 32 now and she may be joining us down there this next trip. I sure hope she does.

And yes, I realize you were joking.

And yes, I realize you were joking.

But can you be certain? I might just be a misanthropic curmudgeon!

No, I don't hate children. I just wish that more parents realized that their children are NEVER as cute, delightful, or charming, or even tolerable, to strangers as they are to their own parents.

I get to go to Cozumel a few times a year, and book others there, too.
For what you are describing for your vacation, I would suggest the Sunscape Sabor Resort.
There are 2 great dive ops right on sight, too. Dive Palancar and Dive House.

Hi

You can try the "Ultimate Dive Experience" program at the Occidental Allegro Cozumel, you will benefit of the AI resort in one of the best beaches on the island, dive sites are close and the extra amenities of the Ultimate Dive Experience package, check it out at:
ultimatediveexperience.com

Back
Top Bottom