17 lbs!!!???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh. one more thing... are you sure the tanks are 80's. Somewhere warm I went (don't remember exactly which trip) I was told they were using smaller tanks. Check it out!!

Well, I went down to 16 lbs today!! ;-) Seriously, I know a lot of this is simply the new large vs medium suit and a different BC. I had to flood my suit for the first dive, and had to fin down, but I really had no problems maintaining my safety stop without finning.

keep in mind that it is not just the air that is trapped between you and the suit, some of it is the air that is trapped in the cells in the suit. As you use the suit and it crushes, it will become less buoyant as well reducing your ballast requirement (unfortunately, it will become less thermal as well)

Well, I went down to 16 lbs today!! ;-) Seriously, I know a lot of this is simply the new large vs medium suit and a different BC. I had to flood my suit for the first dive, and had to fin down, but I really had no problems maintaining my safety stop without finning.

When you're properly weighted down, you're not going to sink down much even with a full tank, so yes, you have to fin down. If you sink like a rock then you're overweighted. The fact that you have an easy time at safety stop tells you that you're properly weighted.

The BC matters more than some people think -- Some are quite buoyant ( 3-4 pounds or more) so you need to take that into account as well. Some trap more air than others and the amount of padding affects the buoyancy as well. Like wise some tanks are more buoyant than others.

Use what you need. It's also pretty common to start the week overweighted and then, as the old skills come back and you get acclimated, you can usually drop a couple of pounds.

The BC matters more than some people think -- Some are quite buoyant ( 3-4 pounds or more) so you need to take that into account as well. Some trap more air than others and the amount of padding affects the buoyancy as well. Like wise some tanks are more buoyant than others.

Yes this is true and something that isn't so obvious. I had quite a padded BC (Scubapro Ladyhawk) and when I switched to a BP/W with a SS BP I was able to drop 10lb instead of 6lb (for the backplate) like I was expecting.

Yes this is true and something that isn't so obvious. I had quite a padded BC (Scubapro Ladyhawk) and when I switched to a BP/W with a SS BP I was able to drop 10lb instead of 6lb (for the backplate) like I was expecting.
Hmmm, actually it was the other way around for me, i had to add 1.5kg (around 3lbs).

Hmmm, actually it was the other way around for me, i had to add 1.5kg (around 3lbs).

With the same gear as me? I would be surprised if one had to add weight when switching from a Ladyhawk BC to a stainless steel backplate with a 32lb OMS wing (holding other gear constant).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom