18 yr old Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As many others have stated, age is not always an indication of experience. So regardless of age there are questions a prospective instructor needs to be asked.

FWIW - in my regular job (non-diving) I was leading teacher training courses by the time I was 19... you just never know.

Aloha, Tim

Not to hijack the thread, but I had a not dissimilar conversation with an instructor about kids and diving nitrox. He was against it, mainly because he thought younger kids could not handle the maths.

But my point is: isn't that what the exams are supposed to determine?

If they are too easy - change 'em. Otherwise treat people who pass like they pass.

I wonder if Sophocles dove a BP/W or a jacket BCD....

I believe he used the original Halcyon bronze backplate, which cost him a little more than two months of his salary as a priest of Dionysus. (Amazingly, with the change of materials, the price has stayed relatively constant.)

:rofl3:

I wonder if Sophocles dove a BP/W or a jacket BCD....
Neither - Sophocles dove vintage!:D

Anyway, I would not write an 18 year old off, I'd just be watchful. If he has a good Dad (as I try to be to my 13 year old) he was harder on him than any other Instructor or CD would have been, and he had another Instructor and another CD do the testing and actual certifying.

Didn't actually dive with him but we were on the same trireme cattleboat once.

Hmmm.... without further information, definitely not. As stated by others - experience does not necessarily imply ability to teach effectively. Knowing what I (and about 99% of the people I've met around the world) were/are like at that age... eek! But there are DEFINITELY exceptions, and hopefully he's one of them.

On a related note... I've been noticing some things online lately - people who are "Master" SDT with <100 certs and hundreds of DSDs, or IDC staffers with <1,000 dives.... now, I know I just stated that experience does not equate to teaching ability... but is this the norm?? I mean, people teaching teachers with less than a year's worth (full-time hours) in the classroom and water? I think it's kind of a scary statement regarding the state of the industry. I'm aware that these folks meet the minimum requirements and standards for their level, but minimums are minimums for a reason, no? PLEASE don't flame me - if this is considered normal, I stand corrected - what are your opinions on fast-trackers? Not trying to hijack the thread, but I think itwould seem sort of pompous if I posted it as a new one.

I happened to hear about an instructor that is 18 years old in my area. His father is a technical instructor and a course director.

My question is. Do you think that instructor should have some time of actual diving experience before he can be awarded this title? (like a pilot flights hours)
:confused:
Would you train with him ? (assume you only know the age and no other positive or negative info about him)
:shakehead:

I had over 200 hrs BT by the time I was 18. I had the experience in diving, but not the maturity required to be a good instructor. I didn't have the experience to deal with the diversity of students an instructor must train and I didn't have the patience.

He'll likely run into issues with older students in terms of trust and respect, but I don't doubt the right 18 yo could be a fine instructor, especially if they've been diving for 8 years.

With an instructor for a father I would be willing to bet that he's been blowing bubbles, in one form or another, for nearly a decade. Also there is an experience requirement for becoming a full instructor, 100 dives to take the instructor exams, so he is at least as experienced as any other instructor that you will find. He has the experience so don't write him off as being too young. I am 29 years old and just now going to college (I spent eight years in the military) so I am surrounded by 18 and 19 year olds on a fairly regular basis. Let me tell you that I am very impressed with a great majority of these "kids." Yes, I would dive with this instructor and place the same degree of trust in his abilities as I would a grizzled looking "veteran" (who might have far fewer dives under his belt!).

I wouldn't train with him, but not at all because I wouldn't trust his diving knowledge and skills. A guy with enough drive to get his Instructor's at 18 could certainly teach me all kinds of good stuff.

I wouldn't do it because, physiologically speaking, an 18-year old's brain is still under construction. Specifically, the areas that assess risk are known to be underdeveloped until about 20. I'm a conservative diver. Until I get enough experience in the situation (which I wouldn't have, since we're talking training here) to make my own good judgments, I want a conservative diver helping with my judgment calls. The guy might be conservative; individuals differ; but the chances are low from a biological standpoint.

On the other hand, a woman half my age did our AOW class, and I was good with that. 21 is old enough to be past that problem for most people.

Back
Top Bottom