1981 Poseidon Cyklon Maximum . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigbella

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Here's another blast from the past, from forty-odd years ago -- Poseidon's first stab at their "upstream diaphragm-actuated servo-assisted system" (which just rolls right off the tongue) -- the "Cyklon Maximum," which would later become various models of the "Jetstream," including "Thor," "Odin;" and, more recently, the "MK3."

The most conspicuous difference from newer models was certainly the lack of a switch on the second stage; and in that sense, more closely resembled the function of the Xstream, of some twenty years later -- while also sharing nearly identical LP valves, and even very similar IP settings (8.8 bar for the Maximum versus the Xstream @ 8.5).

Paired to that was a 2801 balanced first stage, which featured a 200 bar fixed yoke in the US model (a bit unusual for Poseidon) and an optional DIN conversion that would allow for a maximum of 300 bar (4200 psi).

Without going too much into the weeds, it was also among the first of the 2800s to feature a cupped "valve piston" in the balanced housing, in lieu of the old "spring guide," which was later used with the 3700 series, and looked confusingly out of place.

A friend, who had purchased it last Winter, along with a cache of old parts and tools, told me that the seller had mentioned that it had been "recently looked-at" -- though that slightly-worn "membrane with washer," seen below, suggested otherwise.

For those familiar with working on later Jetstream models, the Maximum low pressure valve possessed a few slight differences, including a multi-piece metal valve insert, in lieu of the later plastic one-and-done, whose silicone "sleeve" or "condom" to many, was to be replaced at each servicing, as well as a more heavily-built servo, that had been composed of four parts (including the o-ring), instead of two.

Sadly, that original servo valve had been swapped out for a more modern version, since I had hoped to finally futz with one of those. I had heard that they had been fiddly and easily prone to damage (sharing a thin, delicate edge, similar to that of a Cyklon valve seat).

Here are a bunch of various regulator components, along with a parting photo of the late Ingvar "Ingo" Elfström, the founder of Poseidon, caught in a real Sea Hunt moment, sporting both a Unisuit (they were great -- the first neoprene drysuits) and the Cyklon Maximum from 1981 . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3566.jpeg
    IMG_3566.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3575.jpeg
    IMG_3575.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3574.jpeg
    IMG_3574.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3577.jpeg
    IMG_3577.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3565.jpeg
    IMG_3565.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 59
More photos of a messy worktop, since I had been limited to five -- the old regulator cleaner than anticipated, for forty-three year old gear, packed away. Still, the ultrasonic tub wound up looking like weak miso soup afterwards.

The next step will be to actually take it for a dive, after the current storm passes . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3573.jpeg
    IMG_3573.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3572.jpeg
    IMG_3572.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3576.jpeg
    IMG_3576.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2024-04-03 at 1.45.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-03 at 1.45.55 PM.png
    517.8 KB · Views: 52
Thanks for sharing. Interesting differences. Have 2 pairs of jetstreams myself.

i also know you could get tne sherwood first stage with a jetstream second stage the sherwoos first stahge was much bigger than the normal firsat stage i thought it was call the maximum

i also know you could get tne sherwood first stage with a jetstream second stage the sherwoos first stahge was much bigger than the normal firsat stage i thought it was call the maximum
You're mixing that up with the Sherwood Ultima I guess......

Attachments

• Sherwood SRB3800(Ultima).pdf
    754.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Sherwood 3600 (Maximus).pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
You're mixing that up with the Sherwood Ultima I guess......
I do recall, though, when the not-so-late lamented Parkway was distributing Poseidon, back in the 1980s, and rebranded the Jetstream as the "Oceanair" with a fugly new logo, instead of the old pronged fishy -- and even renamed the Cyklon, the "Diveair," for a time . . .

Finally managed to take the "Max" out for a "test-dive" to 30 meters, and it worked like gangbusters -- funny, didn't miss the switch at all. I had it set in the lower 30 Nm range and it breathed effortlessly, without any force or excess often associated with poorly-tuned Poseidon regulators.

Later in the day, I noticed a slight IP drift in the 2801 that hadn't been noticeable when I had first tuned it -- nothing too radical; something very slow, but irritating nonetheless, and I recalled something that @rsingler had mentioned, in response to someone's bargain basement Poseidon find, a few years back.

Pulled out the balanced housing and piston and really had a thorough look at it, under high magnification. Sure enough, there was some minuscule pitting that hadn't been noticeable to the naked eye.

I wound up wrapping the shaft with the adhesive section of a Post-it note and mounted it in a Dremel hand tool. MIcromesh did the rest in about a minute; that piston never looked so good, with a mirror-like finish, and the newly-set IP has remained rock-solid for the last twelve hours . . .

Having not seen one for decades, a second Cyklon Maximum fell into my lap, within the very same month, from an occasional SB lurker, who wondered whether I'd be willing to get another one back to Reagan-era specs, after the set had foundered, coiled in a Foremost milk crate, next to solvents and a gas water heater, through ten presidential terms -- ideal storage conditions, if any.

To put it mildly, it had been ridden hard and put away wet, forty years ago -- and it took some rubber mallet persuasion to even remove the first stage yoke. Even the second stages posed odd challenges, since they were earlier models; and none of my Poseidon tools, even the rattiest older ones, would fit either of the two overly narrow notches at the base of the LP valve housing. A Victorinox oyster, cum urchin, cum clam -- and, now, occasional regulator knife, along with a nylon-lined Panavise head, did the trick.

Embarrassingly, I wound up with two extra o-rings from the second stage kits, seldom ever a good sign; turned out that those older #2857 LP valve housings didn't accommodate any internal o-rings -- no groove was to be found in either; but they did have those nicer metal LP inserts with the replaceable "condom" sleeves, and the original #2842 valve seats.

The rubber second stage diaphragms, both of which were disintegrating and required replacement, possessed the old separate "diaphragm washer" (#2846), which fit into a pocket on the main membrane. Only recall seeing that once before -- and few o-rings came out in one piece, in both stages.

Everything was predictably filthy with a sooty interior and took two fifteen minute vinegar rides at 60˚ C in the ultrasonic cleaner, whose bottom I could not even see, that first time around; and then some serial rinsing . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3602.jpeg
    IMG_3602.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3599.jpeg
    IMG_3599.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3598.jpeg
    IMG_3598.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3596.jpeg
    IMG_3596.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 18
Poseidon caught a rash of scheiß for their custom older hoses, over the years -- deservedly so, in my book, for the expense (only recently eclipsed by that of Atomic); that was, until the advent of various aftermarket adaptors; and until they ultimately decided to go with standard hoses, after about 2008 or so; but nothing quite compared with the one that had been matched to the Cyklon Maximum.

It was not enough that the regulator side of the hose with its OP valve would only fit the Maximum / Jetstream body, but that it would also only fit with a single model of the damn thing, one whose LP valve housing, lacking an internal o-ring, would physically snap onto the hose and seal via an odd nylon sleeve -- the first that I had ever seen with Poseidon -- which surprise, surprise -- hadn't found its way into the thirty-page manual.

Took a bit to figure out the reason why for the weird leaking issues when I first water-tested the second stages with @Fibonacci's 2894A adaptor -- a shameless plug, for that skilled man from Oz -- after having not trusted tightly-wound, decades-old hoses . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3606.jpeg
    IMG_3606.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3603.jpeg
    IMG_3603.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3612.jpeg
    IMG_3612.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom