1st Gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many kinds of spear heads, with lots of different barb configurations. The type with retaining cups and rubber expanders under them are not going to be very fast nor have the best holding capability. They are best suited for when easy fish removal is necessary. IMO locking the barbs down for the shot will often cause them not to deploy. I'd use a single Hawaiian flopper (with no retainer) where speed is desired, or a slip tip (that toggles) for a better purchase on big fish.

Chad

Chad Carney:
There are many kinds of spear heads, with lots of different barb configurations. The type with retaining cups and rubber expanders under them are not going to be very fast nor have the best holding capability. They are best suited for when easy fish removal is necessary. IMO locking the barbs down for the shot will often cause them not to deploy. I'd use a single Hawaiian flopper (with no retainer) where speed is desired, or a slip tip (that toggles) for a better purchase on big fish.

Chad

Thanks for the information. I'm not an expert on spearfishing, but I have been doing it for about 30 years. On occasion, I've had the barbs fail to deploy after penetration, but it happens very rarely. The tip I'm using now, an ice-pick with two barbs, has never done it that I remember. What does happen, at least to me, is failing to put the barbs down then hitting a good fish only to have the open barbs keep the spear from penetrating. This is especially true with tough skinned fish like cobia.

The way I normally spearfish, the barbs are essential. I am usually shooting up under a wreck or into a hole. Without the barbs, I would never be able to pull out most fish without pulling the spear out. A line is pretty essential as well although I'm interested in trying freeshafting. I've never tried the single barb "Hawaiian" style you mentioned, but if it will make the spear faster, that would be great.

Back
Top Bottom