2 dives: fun or learning experience ... I just had a learning experience.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not much to add. I like the suggestion to try to buddy with more experienced divers--particularly those with Rescue Certification. But this is not always possible, as was the case with myself. I would advise student divers to do this.
I too had a dive flag "event" (yes, they can get very tangled in your equipment if you're not careful--I hate them). In Rhode Island on my 25th dive, the buddy was the leader towing the flag. Long surface swim (NOT like yours, which I would never do, even if I were a lot younger than 63). I cramped up. He was too far ahead for contact (and underwater as well). I get to the closest "exit"--large sloping rocks with much surge (and cramping). Took the scuba unit off (only time I can recall ever doing this) and shoved it up the rocks. I was then able to scramble up myself. Moral to the story: Stay REAL close to your buddy.

The only thing I would add is my approach to dive. I would have gone diving, made a try on getting to to the wreck underwater. If i didn't get to the wreck by my turn pressure, I have a chance to see what's on the bottom and work with my buddy.

Shore diving is not boat diving so you are not going to be dropped on your target. Sometimes you can get there, sometimes it's better to just look around and enjoy being underwater.

You came back safe and wiser, that's all I expect out of a dive, the rest is gravy.

Bob

Seems like the chop of the long surface swim is a pretty big factor. You did not really mention being tired from such an activity, so I guess it's a good thing. Although long surface swims can take a greater toll on your stamina than you may have realized. Good reminder about the proper signalling between buddies at the surface. In my view, I would say not descending "face to face" was the largest diving mistake and could have had some more serious consequences. Being that far away from your buddy at any time is a pretty bid deal. This situation could have very easily turned into a "panicked or tired diver at the surface scenario" and there would have been little anyone could have done to help because all support was quite a few minutes away.

We just did our first shore dive this past summer! +1 for lots of prep and research ahead of time.

I had a plan A and a plan B for about everything (please, noone chime in with trite comments about a Plan C). I pulled up a google earth image, verified GPS coordinates from several sites for the wreck (this wreck wasn't bouyed), and calculated what our heading would be from 2 different entry points. Wrote it all on our slates. Good thing, too - wound up using Plan B on the shore entry point, Plan A was inaccessible. Also, got a good idea what the shoreline would look like from the wreck position and what would be visible, and not visible (used the 3d feature of google maps to help with this).

Despite some pretty solid navigation, we never did find the wreck, though Lake Michigan was really stirred up that day, viz was 10' at best. We coulda been right by it and never known. Chop was rough, we did some back swimming but descended when it got to be too much. Also, it seems the sands had shifted, may have covered the wreck up almost entirely. The depth was just barely where we MIGHT have found something, but ultimately, nope.

On the way back the current got us too - by the time we realized we were drifting, it was too late. We just headed for shore and slugged it back wearing our gear. We were kinda tired... lesson learned!

And just to add a little spice to the adventure, I had left my weight bag and save-a-dive-and-sundries duffel sitting on my front porch! 2 hours into the drive, my wife calls me "did you need this?" @&#*(@&)(!&U!
FYI: weight alternative that worked really well - weight vest at WalMart. Each comes with ten 2lb weight pouches - dropped right into our BCD pockets. Worked pretty damn well in a pinch.

Despite everything, thought - goes in the plus column. We're definitely better divers for the experience, even if we were groaning by the end of it. We splashed, stayed safe, kept within arm's reach of each other, and blew some bubbles!

I assume when you say "Walmart weight pouches dropped right into our BCD pockets", you mean your "quick release pockets" in your BCD. Can't see that "improvising" but compromising the safety of quick weight release" is anything good seeing as this is posted in the Basic Scuba Discussions Forum.

I assume when you say "Walmart weight pouches dropped right into our BCD pockets", you mean your "quick release pockets" in your BCD. Can't see that "improvising" but compromising the safety of quick weight release" is anything good seeing as this is posted in the Basic Scuba Discussions Forum.

but of course, kind sir! quick-release pockets indeed. Excellent point.
...yet another reason why I love our Zeagle Ranger BCDs and fail to understand why the consensus here is to poo-poo them.

Back
Top Bottom