Rental computers and newer divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Keep away from strange water, and do not drink from strange springs, so that you may live a long time and have more years of life"
©️King Solomon

You can't patent an algorithm, including mathematical operations. They could trademark the term "SurfGF" if they created it. I did a quick USPTO search and it doesn't look like they have. But even if they did, someone else could implement the same thing under a different name.

Edit: FWIW, Shearwater does have several patents, but they are all related to using heads-up displays in underwater applications.
😂

Unfortunately, the situation @boulderjohn described on rental computer use on dive boats is not unusual. SB members generally know what should happen when given a rental computer, but that knowledge is not common among most divers I see on recreational dive boats populated with vacation divers. The last time I was on a dive boat that required computers to meet their own/insurance policy for computer use, they handed out the computers about 5 minutes before splash, with no instructions how to set or use them. I had my own matching computers, but had no idea how to set or operate the wrist models being used, so I was not able to provide any help, and the DMs were too busy trying to get everyone in the water. I don't think any of the divers had a clue as to settings or use, and the computers were just window dressing. Sad!
How bizarre. In all my travels I've never seen a dive boat that required a particular computer. I certainly wouldn't patronize such a screwed up operation.

The way I read it, the requirement was just to have a computer. The boat gave out computers only to those who didn't have their own.

Knowing how to use one, however, is not a requirement listed in shop's insurance policy, so they Did Everything Right.

How bizarre. In all my travels I've never seen a dive boat that required a particular computer. I certainly wouldn't patronize such a screwed up operation.

@Nick_Radov. Did you actually read my comment? I was talking about wrist mounted computers that a particular dive op handed out (free of charge) to divers that did not have their own computers. No where did I say the dive op required a specific computer or even a specific compute brand. That would have been absurd, and I too have never seen a dive op do it. I don’t know where you came up with that idea. My concern was only that computers were handed out with little/no info given to the users as to how to set or understand the computer prior to splashing. That is what was screwed up.

Having had a long scuba hiatus that spanned the tables-to-computers era, my first experience with a computer was in Maui, using rental equipment that included some puck-type computer in a console - it was so scratched and worn that I don’t even know what it was. Suunto, maybe. But I’d bought a watch before the trip so I’d at least have a timer, and the computer turned out to be useless for a 40-minute dive with a max depth of about 30 feet. I suspect that most rental computer scenarios are similar - you really don’t even need one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom