Diving "Conservative" vs Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Had what started to seem like an interesting conversation with a buddy yesterday on the dock about diving air vs diving nitrox "all the time". He made the comment that his buddy dives nitrox all the time even on dives where it wasn't needed because it makes him feel better. He said his buddy would always feel tired after dives and doesn't feel that way after switching to nitrox. I said that he could have just set his dive computer to be a little more conservative and get the same results as you can with nitrox, but now I'm not sure that's a 100% accurate statement?

Can you get the same results from setting a computer to be more conservative vs just switching over to nitrox? I was taught in tech training to read a bunch about gf hi/lo, pick something that has a valid reason and then do some dives. Adjust if you you think it's warranted. I feel great after dives, refreshed even. To me it seems air or nitrox really shouldn't matter, either is just a tool. If I'm diving air and I feel tired I would adjust my diving, not my mix. More conservative, slower ascent in the last 20', hydrated before a dive, etc. To me just throwing a different mix at it just seems like a band-aid.

What say you Scubaboard?

Reactions: OTF
Sometimes it's as simple as slowing down. Slowing your ascent, even if you believe you are going up slow enough does wonders for how you feel after diving. Slowing down during the dive helps as well. There is no need to swim from one rock to the next to cover as much ground as possible during a dive. It's amazing what you can see when you stop and look carefully for the tiniest, best camouflaged, or best hidden animals. There is no magic elixir in nitrox that makes you "feel" better.

Had what started to seem like an interesting conversation with a buddy yesterday on the dock about diving air vs diving nitrox "all the time". He made the comment that his buddy dives nitrox all the time even on dives where it wasn't needed because it makes him feel better. He said his buddy would always feel tired after dives and doesn't feel that way after switching to nitrox. I said that he could have just set his dive computer to be a little more conservative and get the same results as you can with nitrox, but now I'm not sure that's a 100% accurate statement?

Can you get the same results from setting a computer to be more conservative vs just switching over to nitrox? I was taught in tech training to read a bunch about gf hi/lo, pick something that has a valid reason and then do some dives. Adjust if you you think it's warranted. I feel great after dives, refreshed even. To me it seems air or nitrox really shouldn't matter, either is just a tool. If I'm diving air and I feel tired I would adjust my diving, not my mix. More conservative, slower ascent in the last 20', hydrated before a dive, etc. To me just throwing a different mix at it just seems like a band-aid.

What say you Scubaboard?

If you change the profile you’re not really controlling the variables.

For a given profile you’ll on gas less inert gas if you inspire less inert gas

If you change the profile you’re not really controlling the variables.

For a given profile you’ll on gas less inert gas if you inspire less inert gas
I don't think that matters in the context of this discussion though. If the same diver doesn't slow down, still ascends too fast, flies to the surface after the clock is clear I don't think the dive profile matters... I don't think the gas matters either.

My point to my buddy yesterday was that his buddy should have changed his diving habits if he felt tired, not his gas.

I would rather dive the way I want and take in less inert gas than have to adjust my diving to feel better.
But if you're feeling tired don't you think that's a sign you're moving too fast? Wouldn't you want to figure that out vs just throwing less nitrogen at it?

This topic has been discussed nearly an infinite number of times on SB. All else being equal, your risk of DCS is related to your nitrogen exposure and accumulation. Reduce your nitrogen exposure with decreased dive times and/or use of nitrox and you reduce your risk. Dive nitrox to the same limits that you dive air and the risk is equalized.

This topic has been discussed nearly an infinite number of times on SB. All else being equal, your risk of DCS is related to your nitrogen exposure and accumulation. Reduce your nitrogen exposure with decreased dive times and/or use of nitrox and you reduce your risk. Dive nitrox to the same limits that you dive air and the risk is equalized.
I tried searching the www and here before I started the thread but I came up empty🤷‍♂️

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom