Profiles old Suunto Gecko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt. Bas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good day all,

In a Dutch Facebook thread somebody made the remark his Gecko, "locked" after 2 consecutive dives at depth in Egypt when diving on air.

Somebody mentioned to him he should switch his computer to Nitrox 21 (Air), and apparently he did not suffer from a "locked out"computer since.

Does anybody know if Suunto, has/had 2 different profiles/BT calculations for Air and Nitrox 21?

It sounds strange to me, adjusting the amount of conservatism downward by just changing the name of the breathing gas.

Have an nice day,

Bas

That's the problem with proprietary algorithms such as Suunto's--there's no way of knowing what the issue really was. Switching to Nitrox mode might have had nothing at all to do with the computer's behavior on subsequent dives.

Good day all,

In a Dutch Facebook thread somebody made the remark his Gecko, "locked" after 2 consecutive dives at depth in Egypt when diving on air.

Somebody mentioned to him he should switch his computer to Nitrox 21 (Air), and apparently he did not suffer from a "locked out"computer since.

Does anybody know if Suunto, has/had 2 different profiles/BT calculations for Air and Nitrox 21?

It sounds strange to me, adjusting the amount of conservatism downward by just changing the name of the breathing gas.
Not really sure about Suunto, but a number of computers had an issue like this. I think the original poster may have omitted some information. Diving on air itself should not cause a lockout unless one of the parameters were violated. What could have happened, and could be solved by using Nitrox21, is that the diver did the first two dives on air, then tried to use EAN for the 3rd dive.

Several different computers would lock out, or not allow the switch. The theory behind it is probably lazy programming. When using Air mode, only the N2 is tracked. When using Nitrox mode, the computer should be tracking N2 and O2. So, if your computer does something like this, just use Nitrox 21. I doubt it is adjusting the conservatism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom